GEN 2 Tesla Style Android Radios - 14.5 inch Screens, Octacore, QHD and FHD and 128GB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I install the speaker, but haven't closed everything up yet. What sound does it handle? Should I just remove it? Thanks
I'm not sure what it would do, to be honest. I never hooked the speaker or mic up and everything runs as normal.

caleb

Reaction score
Just FYI about sim cards - apparently it won't take a 'device' sim for a tablet - it must be for a phone, which IIRC makes it more $$. The device runs PHONE software scaled up which is why this is.
That’s not correct. I use a tablet plan on Verizon in my unit. It was a massive pain to get it activated because you can’t do it in the device (IMEI isn’t recognized by US carriers) so you need another device to activate it. (I only have current Apple devices that don’t have sim slots) I ended up buying a $15 hotspot off Amazon and it worked great to get it activated not as a phone (which as mentioned costs more).

I’ll add without a separate sim, the unit is extremely limited and straight up frustrating. I almost removed it a couple times while waiting for my sim to show up. As mentioned, CarPlay is flaky (works most of the time but sometimes doesn’t) so it’s hard to count on it. I tried to just tether it to my phones hotspot and it wouldn’t auto-reconnect.

I have a few minor complaints but overall really like the 14” autotec. My few complaints are, it defaults to your stock radio (whatever channel you left it on…I don’t use the stock radio so this is annoying). The audio also sometimes gets “stuck” on the stock radio. If I play another audio source, the second source plays but the stock fm radio continues to play so I have two sources playing at once. The only thing I’ve been able to do to fix it is to push the reset button or turn the truck off/on. So I keep a sim removal tool in the truck ready to reset the radio. I also need to spend some time and create a nice boot loader. I don’t like the default options. I miss having the outside temp in the top menu bar that’s always visible, So I’m hoping I can fix that with a custom screen.

Overall though, I really like the autotec. My wife loved being able to watch movies/tv shows on a recent road trip. I like being able to split screen with Waze and Spotify. Worth the cost of admission overall.

Etto

Reaction score
I've had a similar experience. I've tried leaving it on an FM station without a signal, but then I get white noise. I wrote autotec about tuning the radio off at startup, but they said it has to be on. I'm getting used to it.

Weird thing I noticed today is that the equalizer is involved in everything. Even the phone. Today it was horrible. I noticed it was on Jazz, I switched it to voice and all was fine. Is there a setting that stops that?

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a similar experience. I've tried leaving it on an FM station without a signal, but then I get white noise. I wrote autotec about tuning the radio off at startup, but they said it has to be on. I'm getting used to it.

Weird thing I noticed today is that the equalizer is involved in everything. Even the phone. Today it was horrible. I noticed it was on Jazz, I switched it to voice and all was fine. Is there a setting that stops that?
The EQ signal rides on top of the signal coming from the B&O DSP (your factory radio). So if those two signals are conflicting, then it will sound like poo. I've set all my factory mixing to "0". It seems to sound better when using the features on the autotech (BT audio, CarPlay, etc).

caleb

Reaction score
Autotec sends you to their YouTube video for install and they have this “user manual” video.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to order the 12.2” for my 2018 Raptor. Got a couple of questions after reading some threads - hope experienced users can help!

1. What’s up with needing the SIM card and a cellular subscription. I use an Apple CarPlay dongle now and it works great. What do I lose if I DON’T get a subscription?

2. I am seeing 2 options for 4GB and 8GB. The 4GB doesn’t support 4G LTE so if I do need cellular I guess I need the more expensive option. I won’t be using much except maybe a few maps and maybe some videos. So answer to #1 impacts this.

Appreciate any feedback. This forum is always helpful and thanks for guiding me through another upgrade!!!