GEN 2 Temporary Raptor Replacement - What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tacoma’s are sweet if your under 5’ tall. Those things are built for midgets.

Apparently some people like to drive with their knees in their face, and then brag that they endured it for 200k miles. That's called insanity, and in some places torture.

Last edited:

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't read the entire thread but how about a Gen 1. You'd probably make money.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Geez I get it, fordtechone makes no sense whatsoever,

I mean all foreign cars according to him are crap boxes. After seeing 3 mid 90s Acura integra type Rs selling for 60-90 grand on BAT, i would say that Americans are bat chit crazy for anything foreign as when our trucks 10 years from now are worth 28 percent of its original msrp.

I wouldn't pay that for an integra type r crap box but some people in this country are. Insane

big_slacker

Reaction score
I had a '19 4runner before the Raptor. Did a write up here but the short version is:

Good in the snow (Drove for snowboarding several times a week in all kinds of gnarly conditions)
Good utility (gear hauling)
Ultra reliable
Old school feel if you're looking for that
Pretty insane resale, it was almost free to drive for 2 years
87 octane

Dated tech and missing features found on way cheaper vehicles, and mine was a loaded offroad premium
Not fast at all, but ok at sea level. An absolute dog at altitude or if you're fully loaded with people/gear
Gas mileage pretty bad for something that slow, I got the same MPG in my raptor as the 4runner.

One person above said it was cramped and that baffles me. Maybe compared to the raptor or other fullsize truck, I assume it's that perception coloring it. My wife's 335i is cramped IMO, the 4runner has plenty of space for the driver and passengers, I was hauling the whole family and a dog. No one had any complaints.

My take for the OP. If you can handle the lack of speed it's a good solid vehicle that you can rely on to get you there and won't cost you much to drive for a year or two. Another option is a wrangler. They also have stupid resale. I drove a JK 6 speed for 2 years and sold it (granted with a lift/wheels/tires) for $1k less than I bought it for. And despite having nearly the same power as the 4runner, the 8 speed auto makes it WAY less of a dog going uphill in the mountains here.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Has to be under $60k, snow-drivable, preferably performance-oriented (I'm flexible), and not a model that will depreciate away the extra positive equity gained. Oh, and not a truck.

That could meet his requirements it is a 3 not an s

The 3 is kinda homely and I wouldn’t call it a slow poke but I also think NH may not be the best climate for it. Plus, I’d be concerned about the depreciation here.

I think @FordTechOne pretty much nailed it; Exploder ST. Ford Performance vehicles do well on resale, and it’s not a shabby performer.

dirtgod

Reaction score
Fj cruiser...drive it for free for a couple years. It’s slow and weird though.