Talk me off the ledge....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottyneutron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boys, I need you to talk some sense into me:

My 2014 Raptor SE is scheduled for an 11/08 build date. I'm figuring a 3 week delivery time to my dealer here in SoCal.

Why I need some sense smacked into me:chair::

For ***** and giggles, the wife and I took a test drive of a Tesla Model S a couple of weeks ago. Holy Future Car, Batman, that sucker was a blast to drive and fast as all hell. Add to that the cool techie features like internet radio apps, 250 mile per charge range, and the thing is really starting to appeal to me.

Now, everyday on my crap - ass 75 mile round trip commute up and down the 405, I'm noticing these Teslas cruising along blissfully in the carpool lane, flipping us the bird as they zing by the rest of us sitting in traffic. I wouldn't be caught dead in a fu_&^%^$#%_ing prius-volt-leaf, but that Tesla is in a totally different class.

So....help me boys. I don't want to turn into a greenie-weenie and really want my Raptor, but that Tesla could sure help on my daily 75 -mile round trip commute.........

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, can't help you. 75 mile commute in the Raptor? I love my truck but if that's what it was getting used for I'd sell it and get something else. That's insane.

That being said, I'm not sold on the Tesla battery tech either. They need to get it up to 400 miles per charge and make them cheaper to maintain ($20k to replace last I saw?) so that it's comparable to a dino fuel vehicle, then I'd be a guinea pig.

Best idea: Buy the Raptor for the weekend and a Focus ST for the commute both for less than the price of the S.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought myself a reliable cheap used car that is easy and cheap to fix if need be. Been using a car for work and a truck for play for years now and its great. Keeps the miles off the toy and the gas bill low.

I guess u need to ask yourself will u really take the raptor offloading...if yes than go with the raptor and look into getting a beater. If u are going to street queen the raptor then the telsa may be the answer. Those are pretty damn cool

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the choice is between a Raptor and a Tesla S, then the real choice is between what you plan is for its use.

Those two very interesting vehicles are as different as the east is from the west. Once you decide why you're buying the vehicle the choice will be obvious.

If you want both uses, your financial situation will dictate your limitations.

Hell, I'd rather have a Prius and a Raptor, then a Tesla S and your second choice off-road truck.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make a decision and don't look back. Good thing is, it's not like your stuck with either ... i don't know about the T, but resale on the Raptor is very good. If I had to drive 75 miles a day to commute, I probably wouldn't have opted for a truck as my primary driver.....any truck. Frankly, my preference for a high miler would be a used BMW 3-Series Diesel....and a Raptor, of course.