SVTCALI's audio build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow didn't know there was a difference in ports?

I've been told sealed is better for tighter punchy bass in rock, like a bass drum. Where ported is better for less defined bass, more ominous if you will, like rap.

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
port dimensions vary depending on the woofer. as mentioned already, in general a sealed box will provide a tighter more accurate bass response. in sound off competitions sealed boxes are used because they only play a single note to the frequency of the box and woofer. a ported box will hit lower notes and produce wider frequency ranges. the port is tuned to the requency of the woofer to provide maximum output. usually a bigger longer port will provide lower frequencies where as a shorter smaller port will play higher frequencies. there will beoptions for ported and sealed boxes when they become available, so you will have a choice. i am a ported box guy. i like to hear a broad range of frequencies in my music. there is a definite noticeable difference between the two.

ssebranek

Reaction score
From my experience in home audio hobby/sales from the past, quality design is the most important issue. I have heard really deep ported and sealed designs that in a blind test it would be hard pick which is which. With ports, you get more efficiency with equal watts, but can get looser bass and risk port noise (don't know if could be heard in a truck.) Sealed tend to be tighter bass but less efficient and need more watts. How deep they can get is really a matter of design restraints, which in trucks is the bigger issue than homes. The real key is the quality of the design and components. And like I have told many before, we all hear different and have different tastes. I can't wait to see the final product. My Fox Box doesn't seem so special any more!

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good info, look forward to seeing what options you bring to the table Busa. When the time comes I may have an order for you :p

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well you have to remember, this is specific to this woofer. all prefab boxes are designed to house any woofer you put in. they make the box to fit the vehicle, and then cut a hole for a woofer. it is not tuned to any specific frequency due to the fact that woofers of the same size are not of the same frequency.

the prefab boxes are good at what they do, its a cheaper alternative to get bass in a truck. however i have yet to see a box for this truck fit a 12in woofer, or 2. when it comes to this, most people are satisfied with the 2 10in woofers and are not willing to pay the extra to fit a 12in. fiberglass work is very time consuming and since people dont have the money to spend they used to, they opt for a prefab because this is cheaper.

ths is an exploratory project, if the 2 people who are recieving these boxes are happy, and think it is worth the money, then they will be produced for others. if they think that its not worth the upgrade, then so be it. im hoping for a positive outcome though, because i know the speakers potential, and i have a very long history of box building.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Supercrewsound has a single and dual 12" setup ...but that was a good story anyway.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmm. Wrong again.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2
im sure if you search for something you can find it, im not the only one to build a box for it. i know that all of my vendors do not sell a box for an scab for 2 12's

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

I'd love 2 12s for my scab but they gotta be JL Audio
you woud be surprised at what the pioneers can do. my jl rep, alpine rep, rockford rep, all say that pioneer shallow mounts are the standard when it comes to an affordable shallow woofers. jl is going to be the best, but its a $600 speaker