Steering racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Socalbeachbum

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I question how and why they got a "stuck bolt" and why in god's name a stuck bolt caused a need for a new rack.

I'll bet that they drilled through the captive bushing in the back and realized that Ford doesn't sell it separately.

To answer your question, yes, there are multiple steering rack part numbers for gen2s. The part numbers are different from year to year and have been superseded multiple times.

The rack has to be programmed when it is swapped.

If the steering shaft junction isn't tight, it'll feel "loose" and have a notch to it.

Does the steering feel change when you change the steering mode?
I was told that one of the steering rack bolts would just turn and turn and not come out. Mind you it’s a brand new truck. When I picked up my truck I was told they ordered a bee bolt and replaced the steering rack with one with 100 miles on it. I was a little confused but I didn’t think to ask more questions. I called them and sent and email after I left. Waiting a reply. Is there an easy way to get under and check for a part number?

if they gave me one from say a 2019 super crew instead of a 2020 scab would it matter?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was told that one of the steering rack bolts would just turn and turn and not come out. Mind you it’s a brand new truck. When I picked up my truck I was told they ordered a bee bolt and replaced the steering rack with one with 100 miles on it. I was a little confused but I didn’t think to ask more questions. I called them and sent and email after I left. Waiting a reply. Is there an easy way to get under and check for a part number?

if they gave me one from say a 2019 super crew instead of a 2020 scab would it matter?
If it was a Gen 1 , i know those are different with scabs and screws, not sure how the electric ones work. I would look online, wait, I'm bored , I will look, lol.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Being that yours is a new vehicle, I would look at the rack and make sure it is new (100 miles) and the right one, no matter who did it, since it wasn't a warranty repair at Ford. It will probably be the only waay I would sleep at night, ha ha. Hope it is okay!

Citizen Park

Reaction score
Ummm at this point it’s irrelevant to the story and my question. I don’t want to throw them under the bus as I don’t THINK they did me dirty.

I totally get it. I only ask for the specifics because I've been on the hunt for trustworthy dealerships/mechanics in the LA area. And the only way to really know is talking with peeps with first-hand experience (like you). And lets not forget that some of the forum members (not insinuating you) speak on things they know nothing about. #spinningincircles :chair: Thanks again for replying!