Steering racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an aftermarket bumper installed and due to a stuck bolt they had to cut it off and thus had to replace my steering rack. The shop, which I won’t name, was super cool about it and replaced it with a brand new steering rack.

I have a 2020 800a scab raptor. My question is, and I’m waiting to hear back from the shop, is the steering rack for my truck the same across the board for all raptors? The truck drives great! I had deavers installed at the same time, but I feel like the steering is slightly less “tight” maybe because I need an alignment. Anyways just curious about the steering rack. Do I need to have it programmed or anything?

D

Deleted member 12951

Racks are different.
You can verify this yourself by going to any online part website like tascaparts.com and look at what is listed

On my GEN1, I had the dealership put on the wrong one. When I got my paperwork, I knew what the part number was supposed to be used and it wasn’t. They took the brand new one off and put the right one on after I pointed out to them what they did

Being loose isn’t the issue. Its about the turning radius why they are different from what I was told

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I got my final alignment the shop had to reset TDC with some kind of scanner. I should have asked more questions about it. I remember the guy telling me that sometimes it takes multiple attempts before it takes.

OP
OP
Socalbeachbum

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was done by a VERY popular and reputable shop so I don’t think they screwed me or anything. Turning radius seems fine. I’m assuming it was from another raptor, I should have asked my questions at the time.

Citizen Park

Reaction score
This was done by a VERY popular and reputable shop so I don’t think they screwed me or anything. Turning radius seems fine. I’m assuming it was from another raptor, I should have asked my questions at the time.
So what’s the name of the shop? If the story you told is true, tell us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12951

So what’s the name of the shop? If the story you told is true, tell us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that is actually amazing that a shop would buy a new rack because the customer own bolt was stuck having to be cut off. The cost of the rack ate all their profit and then some, they definitely lost on that deal.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I question how and why they got a "stuck bolt" and why in god's name a stuck bolt caused a need for a new rack.

I'll bet that they drilled through the captive bushing in the back and realized that Ford doesn't sell it separately.

To answer your question, yes, there are multiple steering rack part numbers for gen2s. The part numbers are different from year to year and have been superseded multiple times.

The rack has to be programmed when it is swapped.

If the steering shaft junction isn't tight, it'll feel "loose" and have a notch to it.

Does the steering feel change when you change the steering mode?

OP
OP
Socalbeachbum

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I question how and why they got a "stuck bolt" and why in god's name a stuck bolt caused a need for a new rack.

I'll bet that they drilled through the captive bushing in the back and realized that Ford doesn't sell it separately.

To answer your question, yes, there are multiple steering rack part numbers for gen2s. The part numbers are different from year to year and have been superseded multiple times.

The rack has to be programmed when it is swapped.

If the steering shaft junction isn't tight, it'll feel "loose" and have a notch to it.

Does the steering feel change when you change the steering mode?

yes the feel changes when I change modes.