Steering Rack Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea he was telling me about it Sunday! I'm surprised I've never ha any issues with mine! But I do plan on getting the and guards since SDHQ is having a sale haha

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I too just replaced a steering rack. Had tie rods go bad which probably happened before the rack failed causing the rack to go. Either that or I destroyed it all at the same time :D

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine was replaced under warranty so was labraptors and so was one or two of yukons. I know he paid for one

And mines due for replacement after havoc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
babanist

babanist

Reaction score
Mine was replaced under warranty so was labraptors and so was one or two of yukons. I know he paid for one

And mines due for replacement after havoc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that it gets replaced under warranty is good but it is a bit of a concern that it keeps coming back!! What happens when the warranty runs out? Or Ford decides you've had too many replacements?

I just find it very strange that a $75,000 car (yes, this is how much they are here in Dubai) has such an issue and no permanent fix... :(

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that it gets replaced under warranty is good but it is a bit of a concern that it keeps coming back!! What happens when the warranty runs out? Or Ford decides you've had too many replacements?

I just find it very strange that a $75,000 car (yes, this is how much they are here in Dubai) has such an issue and no permanent fix... :(

It's caused partially by the fact that the geometry is off from what it was designed to have by ford on the f150.
The wheel droops out further, the tie rod spends the majority of it's time pushing up on the end of the steering rack, wearing it prematurely.
The steering rack should be lower, or the outboard tie rod mounting higher.
I'm surprised none of the vendors have come out with something to do this.
It would improve bump steer too.
Raising the front end via the perch settings or aftermarket shocks makes things worse.
Then adding aftermarket heim tie rod kits is the final nail in the rack's coffin.
Most of the heim tierod kits move the inboard joint outboard an inch or two, effectively shortening the tierod. This gives you worse bump steer and stress on the rack due to increased thrust angles on the rack ends.

Your problem does not sound related to the premature wear thing, unless you tore the drivers side boot and the rack ingested a bunch of sand, tearing up the shuttle seals. Or an external rack line was damaged.

Personally, my rack lasted until 120,000kms.
It was used off road for 100,000 of those kms, so not shocking.