STUCK IN 4L - Dealer "can't" Solve - TCCM/transfer case issue???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
the truck has no mods outside of front collars
if you’re lifting the front at all, warranty coverage of the transfer case is questionable, but neither here nor there, they’ve already changed hard parts, it’s now down to fancy electronics and circuit testing.

DTC should be the first thing they look at but, if a module is only communicating part time it may not set a DTC. They’re going to have to do some circuit testing to find out.
I think they’re trying to get $$$ out of you now because they’ve exhausted what Ford will reimburse for the “repair”. I’d be calling ford CS

OP
OP
D

Drumguy999

Reaction score
Whats your vin? I can pull if its reporting any DTC. @Drumguy999
Oh i forgot to answer that, the only thing i get is the powertrain error when i switch to 4wd. Other than that, i haven't seen any codes. I did get a forscan cable recently so it sounds like it would benefit me to use that to investigate further.

but if you can come up with anything: 1FTFW1RG0JFD85315

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Drumguy999 Looking at the work history it seems they did the VCT solenoids before really diggin into the transfer case issue. They did some pinpoit testing and replaced some parts but doesnt really answer any questions that would help. At this point i would highly suggest connecting to the truck and trying to catch the DTCs and post up what you get.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh i forgot to answer that, the only thing i get is the powertrain error when i switch to 4wd. Other than that, i haven't seen any codes. I did get a forscan cable recently so it sounds like it would benefit me to use that to investigate further.

but if you can come up with anything: 1FTFW1RG0JFD85315
I ran the VIN in OASIS; the only communication DTCs are for the grille shutters, which don’t have anything to do with the transfer case. The transfer case DTC is P1867:00, it sets when an invalid shift motor position is detected during selection of a new 4WD mode or during motor movement. The possible causes are the shift motor or harness, so it sounds like a circuit issue at this point. The TCCM is located under the passenger side kick panel toward the front, the harness runs through the bulkhead and down to the transfer case parallel with the transmission. If they’re already tested the circuits they need to voltage drop the motor circuits, high resistance will prevent the motor from moving properly.

OP
OP
D

Drumguy999

Reaction score
@Drumguy999 Looking at the work history it seems they did the VCT solenoids before really diggin into the transfer case issue. They did some pinpoit testing and replaced some parts but doesnt really answer any questions that would help. At this point i would highly suggest connecting to the truck and trying to catch the DTCs and post up what you get.
Yeah i was hearing a rattle every once in a while on start up and they said it was the solenoids not the phasers and that they didn't need to do the phasers, but my invoice says the phasers were done so im honestly confused.

as for the shift motor, they told me they replaced it and there was no change. I'll get under the truck to see, because I wouldn't be all too surprised if they put my old one back on.