Steering Rack Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

babanist

Reaction score
This is still a mystery to me, My dealer and Ford so i am wondering if anyone has more mechanical, electronic or technical knowledge and can help me understand why my steering rack had a problem and needs replacement.

My dealer hasn't seen this case with a Raptor and Ford told them today that this is the first steering rack issue they see!!! This could mean they try to accuse me of misusing the car and not repair it under warranty but i will have something for them if they do (i can not share here coz i am being polite) .

Regardless of warranty, i really want to understand what happened and why!!!!

Any help is appreciated :)

OP
OP
babanist

babanist

Reaction score
I was off-roading the other day and i got stuck in sand. The guys i was with helped pull me out. Once i was out the steering was off center and had excessive play (not sure why!!) and i also had hill decent control fault and service advance trac on the dash. Turning left or right was not smooth at all after that, it was like the car was automatically counter steering to the opposite direction i was going.. If i turn right the car would go right, left, right, left..etc

They first thought it was a steering angle sensor but then told me it wasn't that and its a steering rack problem. This is all the information i have.

With the cases you've seen with these guys, what was the cause?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had three steering racks myself. They wear prematurly.

The steering becomes loose and you can feel knocking in the front end.

To me, it sounds like you pump is gone. The truck isn't assisting you while you steer, so it feels like it is fighting you.

Can you provide any further info? Upgrades, mileage, noises, visual damage?

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

OP
OP
babanist

babanist

Reaction score
No upgrades and no visual damage. Its a brand new truck with 4,000 kms on the clock!!!!

Its not the pump because it was actually fighting back. When they were parking it on the ramp at the dealership i saw the tire vibrating to the left n right very obviously :s

Very strange

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you see the tire vibrating then it could be tie rods.

The drive gear wears prematurely on the rack hence the play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Might sounds stupid but did they check the abs sensors in the rear? That might explain the lights coming on but not too sure about the steering rack issue!