Starter issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Carry an extra starter or a SAT phone. Starter is cheaper. Or.....you could push start it! o_O Yeah....like that'll work on anything built after 1976......
My 2002 PSD was ordered specifically with a zf6 speed because it is push start-able. The 7.3 is absolutely the hardest engine to start that I know of in a non-commercial vehicle.
The 7.3 literally needs everything to be exactly right for the first 5-7 seconds or you are screwed.
The OBS would eat starters for lunch, especially pre-power stroke 7.3.

OP
OP
O

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford quality sucks. All of these starts are junk and Ford should buy back every truck that has a failed starter.

I am also in to camp that I carry gear in case I have to stay overnight unexpectedly. Been looking at a Garmin inReach for that reason. It's also Bunman approved. That way you can order a starter through a friend. Having one bounce around the truck for a year or two before use can set it up for a failure out the gate.
I always take enough supplies for at least 2x the time I expect to be gone.

Deal is, pretty much no one else I know has a vehicle that is capable of rescuing me. Including just bringing me parts/supplies. Sans search and rescue, which in most rescue operations abandon the vehicle and focus on the rescue part.

I just aim to be 100% self sufficient. Starter on a raptor is a lot more work than alternator on 7.3.

Conversation is really about how prepared is everyone??

OP
OP
O

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not apples to apples comparison. Yr comparing 7.3 to a 3.5 gasser.
I am comparing my 35 years of experience and how technology has changed.

They size starters for the "job" . Ford didn't put the starter from a 1.9 ****** on the 7.3 and say "good luck". It was a huge starter.

Back in the old days (pre-permanent magnet starter days, say around 1992) starter technology was pretty poor. But alas we aren't really here for a history lesson

Trust me I fully grasp the difference between the two engines.

OP
OP
O

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd suspect, because I've not looked, the start stop starters are not small are they?
I do not see any physical difference between a starter on our 3.5 eco boost and let's say starter off a 2002 f150 with a 5.4 /4.6 V8 (granted bolt pattern for mounting may be different). If there is a size difference it is in fractions of an inch and not readily noticeable.

Permanent magnet starters which started coming out in the early 1990's. Are much more efficient than the older design (not sure what the name would be).

I just think the entire computer/and electrical system is vastly more efficient than 15-20 years ago. This efficiency allows stop/start to work without damaging the starter.

When they say "they don't build them like they used to". I promise no one wants to go back to alternators and starters from 40 years ago. some things have in fact gotten better.

Last edited:

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe back in the 80s you could say back in the good old days, but not today. The only way to realize how far we have come is to drive something from back in the time you think things were better. Less power,worse handling,worse brakes and most likely less longevity. Maybe easier to work on, but newer ones require less maintenance.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am comparing my 35 years of experience and how technology has changed.

They size starters for the "job" . Ford didn't put the starter from a 1.9 ****** on the 7.3 and say "good luck". It was a huge starter.

Back in the old days (pre-permanent magnet starter days, say around 1992) starter technology was pretty poor. But alas we aren't really here for a history lesson

Trust me I fully grasp the difference between the two engines.
I wasn't questioning your expertise i was merely implying the starter on the 3.5 is tasked to less force production vs a massive 7.3 diesel and thus likely to be less if a fail rate. Ive watched my co-worker nuke 2 starters on a 6.7 already in just a couple years.