2013 Raptor Engine Performance Issue need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MB2013

Reaction score
Need some help/input on an issue my 2013 has. Here it goes:
History
Live in CA
118k miles

1. When weather gets very hot like say above 90 it will drop power, one example was a day last summer the worst I power loss experienced was on a 100+ degree day it dropped all acceleration power and would have to completely press the gas pedal to the floor to get any acceleration and would it would have to press all the down to raise any level of rpms to get downshift. Just lost all acceleration power like goes into a limp mode.
2. Drove from CA to NM and on way back going on freeway inclines it would have to press further down on pedal to get acceleration just feeling like it is laboring heavy like pulling a 50k lb trailer without wheels.
The engine would only accelerate when pedal pressed almost all the way down.
3. Most increased inclines on highways especially it just labors getting up. Almost like a moped carrying 4 people going up a mountain.
4. On light acceleration at times I can hear a slight light ping sound from what I think is right bank.
If I put a tune on from 5star it gets much louder and frequent.
5. I don’t know if this would impact performance but Fuel tank will fill only to 26g but has 36g tank. Unplug the tank line to charcoal canister and it will fill completely in CA because of the pump cover. Out of state gas pumps without the cover will fill all the way without unplugging the line because air can escape through filler neck.
- I believe I need a new charcoal canister.
6. Engine fan seems to come on quickly but not sure if normal
*No check engine lights ever have come up during any power drop etc

Changes/new Parts I have installed or checked on:
Ford dealer checked trans and changed fluid - could not replicate any issues according to them
Ford dealer ignition balance test - wanted to change plugs for $1300 dollars and one coil. Before I took it there I had already done the plugs so I installed new ones again after telling them no thanks on the $1300 plug change. I changed the plugs again but didn’t improve anything and I also changed all coils but no change. (Returned the new coils lol)
I have checked the mode6 data during drive cycles and see I get a couple random misfires here and there on various cylinders but sometimes seems a few more on random cylinders on right bank if I recall. Not sure if these few random misfires are normal. Between 1 to 8 misfires here and there example cyl 1 could have 2, cyl 5 with 1, and cyl 4 with 4 during a couple cycles.
Changed:
Fuel pump
EVAP solenoid on the intake
O2’s all 4
MAS
Tried swapping all new coils
Plugs twice
Gets louder sounds like pinging from right bank with any of the 5star tunes I put on.

**What I think is left that can be a problem after parts chasing like an idiot:
1. Catalytic converter(s) bad
2. Torque converter but wouldn’t explain the ping
3. EVAP canister but not sure it could cause that large of an issue
4, maybe alternator is weak (no electrical issues I have noticed though.)
5. Cylinder head temp sensors bad ? Parts chase stretch

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say MAS. But sounds like you covered that.

OP
OP
MB2013

MB2013

Reaction score
DFE91585-3BE8-4D81-BBB2-F4362306889D.jpeg I definitely fixed a lot of the problem. The prior owner at some point in the past did a rigged version of the fuse 27 fix. Spliced in an in line fuse and wired directly to the power dist block. I installed the correct wiring fix and 20amp fuse into the correct fuse slot. I am thinking this inline fuse they installed with a 30 amp fuse was faulty and causing issues with correct power getting to the pump. It definitely has improved the performance by quite a bit. Going to test it on a long drive to see if the fuse may have been overheating and causing issues.

nipplesNchowder

Reaction score
I'm sure you checked it, but fuel filter? Highly suspect if you haven't

Edit: Hopefully it was just that switch, I think there's a pretty good chance

Last edited:
OP
OP
MB2013

MB2013

Reaction score
Everything I have read says these do not have fuel filters inline. Am I missing something?

nipplesNchowder

Reaction score
Everything I have read says these do not have fuel filters inline. Am I missing something?

I honestly have no idea, I haven't owned my Raptor long enough to think about it. If there isn't one then just disregard my statement, but this would be the first vehicle I've ever owned they doesn't have an inline fuel filter

Edit: Apparently the filter is within the fuel pump, so you technically did change it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MB2013

MB2013

Reaction score
Yeah it’s a lifetime fuel filter on the fuel pump itself.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a sock covering the bottom end of the fuel pump and then inserted to the housing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MB2013

MB2013

Reaction score
The air in the tank has to go somewhere while the tanks fills, displacement. The fumes/air gets pushed through the charcoal canister to be “cleaned” and is vented to the atmosphere through the vent line (exits at the rear of engine near firewall). If the charcoal canister is clogged the air won’t vent. So when fueling the pump stops at less than capacity of the tank because the air is not being displaced enough to add more fuel. Removing the line into the canister just let’s the raw fuel filled air into the atmosphere. In California the pumps have a cover on the end that prevents any fumes coming out the filler neck. Other states pumps don’t have this so you will never really experience the tank not filling all the way because the air is just displaced through the neck.