Starter issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So my previous off road rig was /is a 2002 7.3 PSD diesel. Which has a history of alternator issues. So I have for 20+ years prior to my Raptor carried a spare alternator.

Well today we had a F150 (2017) come into my shop that randomly had intermittent starter failure.

Took a bit to duplicate the issue but nothing like a starter issue I have seen before.

Zero warning, and zero indication of starter issue. When duplicated the first inclination was BCM, TCM, PCM or transmission range sensor. But alas proved to be starter.

Should I consider carrying a starter with me at all times ( I go to some of the most remote areas of the lower 48).

OP
OP
O

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems overkill for a random fault.

We all do what we deem comfortable. I must admit this is the first I've seen someone have any kind of Gen 2 starter issue... that I can recall.
I am not saying I am 100% committed to caring one. Was mostly thinking out loud, getting others opinions.

I have changed 100's of PSD alternators (2001-2006 have the highest failure rate) but I have never had to change mine.

I have only seen a dozen or so starter failures across all makes/models in the last 10 years, so yea starter failure is rare in general.

I go places where I don't see another human for 3 days. This is mostly when the heat or cold are extreme. Fall and spring does get a little active. I try and not let the weather dictate what I am going to do.

I carry some rescue gear, which ironically I have had to use to rescue quite a few others. (have actually thought about getting stickers for my trucks for the front fender like they used to put on the nose of WWII fighters for their kills).

I hate relying on others.

Over the last 15 years cell service has started to encroach in to the area's I go. I do tell 2-3 people where I am going.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since start stop was added the starter is beefed up pretty big time. Does keeping a starter on you cost a lot and take up a lot of space? No. Would I be surprised if it stays in your storage bin for a long time and probably never need to access it off grid? No. That being said its big boy rules out there, you have to judge your readiness level based on your personal usage case and needs. To me i feel there are more complex electrical systems on the raptor that are a bit more concerning to me over the mechanical bits. Just my .02… In the jeep world yr talking Na engines and solid axles so its super simple. U joints, axle shafts, more drive line stuff compressor, recovery. Its the indian not the arrow, most of the people who get stuck on matts recovery are doing dumb shit…

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the years of my off roading I have found that I carried alot of things with me I never needed, but other people I ran across did. From reading your other posts I assume you're a mechanic. I am also. 40 years. If you're meticulous about your truck the chances of you being stranded are about the same as getting struck by lightning.
Now days I carry things with me to help me survive a unexpected stay in the bush rather than fix a possible mechanical failure. Plan your route, tell someone you can rely on to rescue you if need be your detailed agenda, and let them know when they should come looking for you if you don't return.
I tell my son where we're going, when I plan to be back, and let him know when I'm back. He's familiar with where we travel, so he can find me himself.
Plus, I drive a ford. No worries, lol.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my previous off road rig was /is a 2002 7.3 PSD diesel. Which has a history of alternator issues. So I have for 20+ years prior to my Raptor carried a spare alternator.

Well today we had a F150 (2017) come into my shop that randomly had intermittent starter failure.

Took a bit to duplicate the issue but nothing like a starter issue I have seen before.

Zero warning, and zero indication of starter issue. When duplicated the first inclination was BCM, TCM, PCM or transmission range sensor. But alas proved to be starter.

Should I consider carrying a starter with me at all times ( I go to some of the most remote areas of the lower 48).
I just had the starter changed on my 2017 Superduty 6.7 PS with 275K miles due to random anomalies that began to happen with more frequency, just as a precaution, I figured after 6yrs it would be good insurance.
The new starter is doing the same anomalies( grinding, selonoid not engaging). Yesterday after a brief time of sitting with the ignition on, but engine not running, the starter wouldn’t do anything and I had to jump start it. Now I’m thinking my starter issue was actually a battery issue.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just had the starter changed on my 2017 Superduty 6.7 PS with 275K miles due to random anomalies that began to happen with more frequency, just as a precaution, I figured after 6yrs it would be good insurance.
The new starter is doing the same anomalies( grinding, selonoid not engaging). Yesterday after a brief time of sitting with the ignition on, but engine not running, the starter wouldn’t do anything and I had to jump start it. Now I’m thinking my starter issue was actually a battery issue.
The amount of compression a starter for that motor has to clear is a substantial amount more than a 3.5 .

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I am not saying I am 100% committed to caring one. Was mostly thinking out loud, getting others opinions.

I have changed 100's of PSD alternators (2001-2006 have the highest failure rate) but I have never had to change mine.

I have only seen a dozen or so starter failures across all makes/models in the last 10 years, so yea starter failure is rare in general.

I go places where I don't see another human for 3 days. This is mostly when the heat or cold are extreme. Fall and spring does get a little active. I try and not let the weather dictate what I am going to do.

I carry some rescue gear, which ironically I have had to use to rescue quite a few others. (have actually thought about getting stickers for my trucks for the front fender like they used to put on the nose of WWII fighters for their kills).

I hate relying on others.

Over the last 15 years cell service has started to encroach in to the area's I go. I do tell 2-3 people where I am going.

Ford quality sucks. All of these starts are junk and Ford should buy back every truck that has a failed starter.

I am also in to camp that I carry gear in case I have to stay overnight unexpectedly. Been looking at a Garmin inReach for that reason. It's also Bunman approved. That way you can order a starter through a friend. Having one bounce around the truck for a year or two before use can set it up for a failure out the gate.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Carry an extra starter or a SAT phone. Starter is cheaper. Or.....you could push start it! o_O Yeah....like that'll work on anything built after 1976......