SSM 47757: Harsh ride quality.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"I think I need to ride along with some other Raptor owners and see if its just me or if the truck needs to be looked at under warranty."

I agree. Maybe you have something wrong with your truck, as my 19 (which is an early build and not reprogrammed yet) rides very well. (But I do run lower pressures)

Aeterna

Reaction score
So I’ve been complaining about the stiff ride quality on my 2019 Raptor, and the advise that’s often given is to lower down my tire pressure. I am not doubting the benefits of doing such, especially for traction, but the question that continues to plague me is shouldn’t the much touted Live Valve system supposed to be constantly monitoring conditions and adjusting (in milliseconds)? Because it sure doesn’t seem to be doing anything special at all. It rides like a ¾ ton single cab truck on the road, in that I feel every road imperfection and stuff is rattling...until I hit a big bump then I can feel the benefit of bigger shocks. Off road seems to get bounced around a lot too, and never really “adjusts”. I hit a series of small dirt holes on the trail the other day and the truck started bouncing violently, straight up and down, and uncontrollably until I could bring it to a stop; exactly like what I’d expect from a “normal” truck....but not a Raptor with super fancy suspension. I find it hard to believe this is all because I didn’t let nearly all of the air out of my tires as has been suggested. I think I need to ride along with some other Raptor owners and see if its just me or if the truck needs to be looked at under warranty.

did you ever figure anything out about this? I just bought a 2020 screw and have the same complaint. nothing I do seems to make a difference, dang thing rides like an unloaded 3/4ton.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you ever figure anything out about this? I just bought a 2020 screw and have the same complaint. nothing I do seems to make a difference, dang thing rides like an unloaded 3/4ton.

I reached the conclusion that its just the nature of the aluminum F-150, or something, and the Raptor suspension does what it needs to on the hard hits. Probably upgrading the rear leafs would help but its not in my budget yet. Basically I've learned to live with feeling every little ripple on the pavement. Its does better at highway speeds though.

Aeterna

Reaction score
Fair enough, I will ride in the same boat haha! Still nothing else like it on the road. I am taking a trip to SPI in the next few weeks, hope to find parts of the north island I can let this thing rip on.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I reached the conclusion that its just the nature of the aluminum F-150, or something, and the Raptor suspension does what it needs to on the hard hits. Probably upgrading the rear leafs would help but its not in my budget yet. Basically I've learned to live with feeling every little ripple on the pavement. Its does better at highway speeds though.

I'm wondering if doing an electrical reset could help? I saw someone posted here (I forget where) that if you hold the start button without the brake on it does a reset of the suspension. It just seems so odd that many of us have trucks that ride really well, while a handful of others are unhappy and saying that their truck rides like crap. We have really rough roads here in the mountains and I dropped my pressures to 36/34 before I even left the dealer and mine has been great. Anyone that's been in it has commented on how smooth the ride is over blown out sections of road. I hope you can get it sorted.

Last edited:

Aeterna

Reaction score
I'm wondering if doing an electrical reset could help? I saw someone posted here (I forget where) that if you hold the start button without the brake on it does a reset of the suspension. It just seems so odd that many of us have trucks that ride really well, while a handful of others are unhappy and saying that their truck rides like crap. We have really rough roads here in the mountains and I dropped my pressures to 36/34 before I even left the dealer and mine has been great. Anyone that's been in it has commented on how smooth the ride is over blown out sections of road. I hope you can get it sorted.

My truck does great over bumps and crappy roads. Its the perfectly straight ones that it sucks on. At times it feels like im driving over a microscopic washboard and other times it amplifies the tiniest of bumps. The big ones it goes over like cake.

wonder how I would do the electric reset on an 801a that still has a key?

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck does great over bumps and crappy roads. Its the perfectly straight ones that it sucks on. At times it feels like im driving over a microscopic washboard and other times it amplifies the tiniest of bumps. The big ones it goes over like cake.

wonder how I would do the electric reset on an 801a that still has a key?

I'm not sure, but I think it was SVC that had posted that. Hopefully members a lot more knowledgeable than me can help you.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought I read here that these trucks are shipped with spacers that stiffen the suspension for transport that need to be removed.,, Or a dream perhaps..... FordTechOne would likely know..... and I recall there is a “transport mode” that needs to be turned off, perhaps it also stiffens the active shocks so the trucks don’t move around on the transport trailer (but I’m absolutely guessing there). See “disable F-150 transport mode”

Last edited: