SSM 47757: Harsh ride quality.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153974-9999.pdf

Just had my VDM updated yesterday on my early build 2019. Sorry to say it didn't help with my complaint. The ride on my truck is always jittery or fluttery, even on smooth concrete and at low neighborhood speeds. Feels like the rear of the truck is not in good coordination with the front. Its like I feel bumps that aren't even visible as the truck sends shivers up the seat and things rattle. I've played with the tire pressure back and forth and currently running 38F 34R, for city driving. All feels the same.

Off road I lowered the tire pressure but still feel the overall ride is harsher than it should be. Also used deep sand and baja modes. In these modes I feel an improvement but my truck still punishes me for going fast on the dunes. Kinda like: "its not breaking but its not fun". I end up slowing down and letting my buddies Raptor just go on ahead.

Anyone else experience this? Or have any ideas? I'm not in a position to start blindly spending money on a brand new, already expensive, truck. Was thinking perhaps the BFG KOs are too hard.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been to two dealers and they say they are too busy to do this to mine (both 2-3 weeks out and I was traveling). I don't feel mine is too harsh, but I still want it done.

I am sure this is NOT it, but check and make sure your tires are C range.

Try 35F and 32R. I can tell the difference that a couple of pounds makes. I moved my spare into my bed (more forward) and carry probably 80 pounds of tools and stuff, but I really don't think that makes any difference. I think my new front and rear bumpers are probably a few pounds heavier, but again shouldn't effect it.

Mine is a SCAB so it actually should be worse than a SCREW.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MODS please move my thread to the appropriate sub section. I don't know how this ended up under Interiors

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been to two dealers and they say they are too busy to do this to mine (both 2-3 weeks out and I was traveling). I don't feel mine is too harsh, but I still want it done.

I am sure this is NOT it, but check and make sure your tires are C range.

Try 35F and 32R. I can tell the difference that a couple of pounds makes. I moved my spare into my bed (more forward) and carry probably 80 pounds of tools and stuff, but I really don't think that makes any difference. I think my new front and rear bumpers are probably a few pounds heavier, but again shouldn't effect it.

Mine is a SCAB so it actually should be worse than a SCREW.

I checked and they are "C" rated. Will be lowering tire pressure again tomorrow for an off-road outing.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I let the air down to 28 psi yesterday for a day at the beach. I could feel somewhat improvement on pavement but off road driving is still harsh to me (in Deep Sand/Snow mode). Encountered a group of two jeeps and a Subaru travelling at a faster than normal pace through the dunes; not wanting to be shown up I sped up too. Got tired of me, my passengers, and my gear being bounced around and just slowed down and let them go on.

Also got my truck stuck, for the second time in 8 months, on flat ground just passing a through a 50ft wet spot. I had already passed through once; then on the way back my tires just spun...causing my truck to slide over to a softer patch. At once the tires were spinning and truck came to a halt. Not related to my original complaint but I AM CONVINCED NOW that the BFG KOs are SHIT!

Asking myself now if I want to spend $1,800 on new tires, and possible $$$ on Deavers......

Last edited:
OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On sand I go down to 14 psi. It did great. 28 is way too high for deep sand. I am sure the Jeeps were at 12 or below. The BFGs are one of the best all around tire. I use them on rock, sand and pavement. LOWER YOUR PRESSURE.

Really that low?
Its a long highway drive back home and nowhere to air the tires back up. Unless buy a small compressor.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea with the co2 tank. But hey I was just thinking...why should it even be necessary to air down the tires so much to get a smooth ride when the truck comes with the super fancy Fox Live Valve set-up? Isn't that real-time monitoring and adaptability supposed to be its main party trick.