Sport Mode all the time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about the hard upshift to 5th(?) in sport mode? Was there ever a fix for that? Felt like I was going to damage the trans with extensive use on pavement. Thought I read a post at some point that there was a software update, but my service techs weren’t aware of one.
That is definitely not normal. My truck has never done that one time.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried Sport mode on my 2017 and 2019 and just feel like I am beating the crud out of the truck with how it needlessly holds RPMs and takes forever to upshift after getting in the gas a little. To me, Sport mode equals a Competition Racing mode and we need something between Normal and what is currently Sport mode.
The fix for this is a tune. Preferably by Goosetuned with a TCM. I never take my truck out of normal mode anymore after this.

I agree 100% that stock (no tune) sport mode is flat out annoying with how long it holds the gears at a high RPM during normal street driving.

sammy134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ima be honest. I don't get why you guys are complaining about the sport mode hard shifts. That's the point. That's a feature. It feels good to drive like that, you physically feel the gear shift, and the vibrations travel throughout the truck to your seat and steering wheel - its probably the closest thing to a hard manual shift as it gets.

You shouldn't TCM tune it to get rid of it, Ford designed it this way, learn to appreciate the feature instead.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ima be honest. I don't get why you guys are complaining about the sport mode hard shifts. That's the point. That's a feature. It feels good to drive like that, you physically feel the gear shift, and the vibrations travel throughout the truck to your seat and steering wheel - its probably the closest thing to a hard manual shift as it gets.

You shouldn't TCM tune it to get rid of it, Ford designed it this way, learn to appreciate the feature instead.
TCM doesn’t get rid of the harder shifts in sport. It does solve the holding of the gear for too damn long problem though. These trucks beg to be tuned.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't like the extremes in Sport in my Gen 2, if I let off the gas, it feels like I hit the brakes.

I do like stepping on the gas while in Sport mode, however.
would be nice if normal mode had the Sport mode throttle response and thats it. the transmission keeps you in too low of a gear when cruising and holds them too long when you are in Sport mode

uscraptor51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 7k miles I’ve realized Sport mode is where the truck seems happiest. IMO the truck feels way to sluggish in Normal Mode. I’ve gone back and forth a bunch and decided to run sport mode all the time about 500 miles ago. Anyone else do the same?
Sport Mode + Baja Exhaust …. I find myself driving long miles just to find a bridge, overpass or tunnel so I can rev the exhaust. It’s childish and immature, but put’s a smile on my face every time!!!

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone knows how adaptive transmission differentiates between the driving modes. By the way, I am a Gen2 owner but this thread in Gen3 has some good input.

Example: I drive mostly in "default" or normal mode although recently I am trying tow mode (and liking it). When I first got the 2018 truck (used) shifts were horrible - so bad I took it back to the dealer where they reset the adaptive learning. It then got better as it learned my style - huge improvement. Then the TSB came out, this also helped the shifting. At this point it shifts decently in "normal".

So... if I start driving in Sport all the time, is the adaptive learning starting over, or does it use the same learned data from my normal driving mode? Is the adaptive learning tethered to each mode or is it one-size-fits-all?

Last edited: