Sport Mode - The Superior Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You shouldn’t be ‘holding on’ to 8th or 9th, at cruising throttle on level ground above 65. I can go as slow as 62 before a downshift to 9th and if I ease into the throttle it will hold 10th, but anything more than just nudging the throttle and Lucille downshifts under these conditions.

I like sport for most non interstate driving because the Jen Too normal mode sucks. As delivered, my Rap would not downshift out of 10th gear above 45-48mph in normal mode. I had a reprogramming done and since that reprogramming it’s been more tolerable in normal.

yes.
I usually "sprint" to 75.....highway entrance ramps are there for a reason. Enter at speed or die. so when I come off throttle at 70 or 75...the truck is not sure if I am entering a sweeper or not....as it is supposed to in sport mode.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually get worse gas mileage in sport because its begging to be driven harder so I do what it wants. Ive been using tow/haul mode. more aggressive than normal and not as aggressive as sport. Not to mention I always have tools in the back (approx 150-200 lbs) it seems very happy there when driving a little more normal than sport. less shifting and its still in the power curve more so than normal. The only thing I don't like in tow mode is the yellow accent colors on the instrument cluster.

Last edited:

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
4 am mornings i drive normal mode to work , a lot of times never get into boost. Unless people acting a fool that early, then sport mode . After work different story sport mode and TC off .

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had four 10spds so far, my '20 has been my favorite. Normal mode never bogs down or refuses to down shift itll just go. My sport mode is tamer than the other ones, but i totally prefer that, itll shift to 10 around 60 no issue and never hang gears unless i get on it. Love using it, but never feel like i have to like on the other 10spds

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just saying here, as I’m sure many of you’ve experienced, But a real sport mode, or better yet sport plus on a good DCT transmission, is a thing to behold. My former 911s, on track, in sport plus, were not only nirvana but absolute necessity, as the super aggressive downshifts when diving into corners were a tremendous aid to braking and then blasting out of same.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor loves sport mode, on a mechanical level.

I feel significantly less drivetrain stress, there is less shifting and turbo use and, the vehicle feels more connected.

Better gas mileage to boot.

Anyone else notice this? Normal / comfort in cruise control at 80? OK sure.

Otherwise sport mode is the superior mode for longevity, gas mileage, and user experience.
I like it but just keep it in Normal mode for us, it holds RPMs to long around town, but on highway definitely like Sport mode best.