Sport Mode all the time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammy134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah, I don't like normal at all.

Ive been experimenting with 91 octane, 93 octane, and 94 octane, and from all different types of gas stations. Lots of variance here and that variance just makes the octane adjust ratio different, and makes normal mode feel even worse.

My last tank, I filled up with 94 octane from Canada - yes in Ontario they sell 94. It drove like a real NORMAL should drive. But anytime I get 91 or 93 in the states, I feel like the quality is just awwful, and makes normal feel really bad.

Tow feels better than normal, and doesnt hurt fuel economy as bad. Sport is the best feeling mode. Especially in 2nd gear. Normal in 2nd gear is the worst calibration I've seen in a truck in a long time. It stays in 2nd for like 200 rpm and switches with like 10% - 20 pedal input, it feels so bad, I can't believe they think this is okay.

Next week I am going to order some octane booster SHOTS. These are the singles you add in the tank after a fill up, not the full on octane booster. These shots are made to fix bad fuel problems. I will then fill up with my usual USA sunoco 93 octane gas station, put a booster in there, and see if normal feels better. I just don't want to buy 94 in canada, its so expensive.

If not, I might also have to switch to sport mode all the time, except on long trip highways.

sammy134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree, my esteemed colleague. We’re not riding around in a lazy, 7 plus liter v8, this thing was made with hard, borderline abusive driving in mind. Sport mode is a street going drive mode, complete with street nannies. We could ride around in sport mode all day, all the time, and I’d wager 99% of us would be none the worse for wear.

compared to M&S or Baja, sport is pretty tame.

I do agree with you though that something between normal eco mode and sport would be nice. If you drive an Exploder ST, normal in that truck is much better than Raptor normal. You have to think of Raptor normal drive mode like eco mode in the rest of the Ford lineup. There really isn’t a normal drive mode for us, it’s either eco, or sport.
Can confirm, Baja is ridiculous.

Especially in Michigan, the temperature has been getting down. As long the air charge temperature is down, and engine is getting cold air, in Baja mode while engine is warm - its the best driving experience I've had in any vehicle.

IDontDoUrban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the hard upshift to 5th(?) in sport mode? Was there ever a fix for that? Felt like I was going to damage the trans with extensive use on pavement. Thought I read a post at some point that there was a software update, but my service techs weren’t aware of one.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would Tow mode be that middle between eco and sport?
I have been using tow mode recently and am starting think it’s the best mix. No auto start/stop, upshifts like it should, holds gear while decelerating (using engine to help slow down) and overall a good sporty acceleration without the sport mode hard shifts.

Plus the button is on the shifter so easy to remember.

Flatfuse

Reaction score
Tried keeping my 17 in sport mode for several months. Liked it a little more but didn’t like how the transmission would hold gears or shift hard at inappropriate times. I had the dealer do updates and reset the transmission learning. Went to pedal commander for another almost 30k. It helped a little with the sluggish stock feel. (I’ll sell it cheap if anyone wants it) I finally broke down and went Goose ecu and transmission tune. It’s now a completely different truck. Now I‘m upset I wasted a few years in a dog of a truck with psychotic transmission shifting.

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried keeping my 17 in sport mode for several months. Liked it a little more but didn’t like how the transmission would hold gears or shift hard at inappropriate times. I had the dealer do updates and reset the transmission learning. Went to pedal commander for another almost 30k. It helped a little with the sluggish stock feel. (I’ll sell it cheap if anyone wants it) I finally broke down and went Goose ecu and transmission tune. It’s now a completely different truck. Now I‘m upset I wasted a few years in a dog of a truck with psychotic transmission shifting.
Did the tune help with the shifting. Going into 5th is like getting knocked in the head. This transmission is the opposite of smooth..

Flatfuse

Reaction score
Yes, it made a huge, huge difference. In addition to a ECU tune, I also got a custom “transmission” or TCM tune. No more skipped gears, slow down shifts or the really annoying intermittent 5 or for me 3 gear pounding shifts.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using tow mode recently and am starting think it’s the best mix. No auto start/stop, upshifts like it should, holds gear while decelerating (using engine to help slow down) and overall a good sporty acceleration without the sport mode hard shifts.

Plus the button is on the shifter so easy to remember.
The thing I like about Tow Mode is it uses every gear, shifts like you would expect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc