Sport Mode - The Superior Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's unpack a couple things here:

1) Can't say I've ever noticed a difference in drivetrain stress one way or the other.

2) It is quite noticeable that it holds gears for so long, but I don't see this as positively as most others.

3) There's definitely more turbo use in Sport mode.

4) There's definitely lower fuel mileage in Sport mode.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just saying here, as I’m sure many of you’ve experienced, But a real sport mode, or better yet sport plus on a good DCT transmission, is a thing to behold. My former 911s, on track, in sport plus, were not only nirvana but absolute necessity, as the super aggressive downshifts when diving into corners were a tremendous aid to braking and then blasting out of same.
100% accurate.

Personally, the Raptor's Sport mode feels like someone described a sport mode to a different person that had to implement it, and what they came up with was to just hold gears longer and keep the turbos spooled. It feels totally unnatural to me, kills the gas mileage, and drives me nuts because it won't shift.

I realize it's not a sports car but the Sport mode tuning just feels like it's there for the same reason as the lazy paddle shifters--they wanted a mode to make it feel 'r a c e y', so they asked the same team at Ford that decided it was a great idea to use the speakers to pipe in fake engine noise. The Sport mode in a BMW or Porsche--whether traditional or DCT--makes the transmission feel like it's reading your damn mind the whole time.

Ford could do better, they just knew they didn't have to invest much time in the feature because most truck buyers wouldn't notice it was half-baked.

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Occasional use of Sport mode presents the quirky behavior people dislike, imo.
Once I ran it constantly, the annoyance went away.
Doesn't hang up in gear awkwardly, shifts smoothly (still fast/firm) and predictably, and just feels natural.

I like fact that it's on boost more despite MPG hit, truck is always DTF.

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I drive in sport mode all the time unless on the freeway. I don't notice any of the strange shifting or anything else. But maybe since I use it daily I am used to it. The truck feels more responsive and even seems to corner better. I like it way more than normal mode. But to each their own.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I drive in sport mode all the time unless on the freeway. I don't notice any of the strange shifting or anything else. But maybe since I use it daily I am used to it. The truck feels more responsive and even seems to corner better. I like it way more than normal mode. But to each their own.
Corners a bit better because sport mode firms up the suspension according to the manual.