SP542 Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just did the plugs in my 18 SCrew

1)new plugs came gapped at .028
2)its an easy DIY job - engine cover comes off with 2 10mm bolts, 8mm bolt for each coil pack, and spark plug socket with short and medium extension to remove the plugs. Much easier access than an LS motor
3)old plugs at 1600 miles burned with clean electrodes
4)I did not disconnect the battery or reboot the ECU

impressions - a must do. The engine is much smoother and no more stutter on acceleration. Idle is smoother as well. This is a must do IMHO, truck should come from the factory with these plugs

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Do these amazing plugs require the "weep hole" mod for the stock tuned engine?:jester:

Every time this is typed, new sasquatch77 has to fight itself to stay in lurk mode. It wants desperately to poison the forum, but has grown weary of being repeat banned 3 times now.

weep hole was always bunk anyway. bunk, bunk, bunk.
c’mon, you know you want to sasquatch77. We know you’re watching.
Come out of hiding, so we can get your new ID banned.

:biggrin:

westchiro

Reaction score
So... I just did a quick test drive with the new plugs this morning and even on start up it is much more quiet and smooth, not sure but seemed a slight lag with acceleration but that is just my once around the block... is that possible? the lag?

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may make a noticeable improvement, I am not disputing that. But I call absolute ******** on it cutting your 0-60 by half a second. F1 teams spend millions of dollars for tenths of a second, if ******** spark plugs could give you half a second the entire world of professional racing must be doing something really wrong.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Every time this is typed, new sasquatch77 has to fight itself to stay in lurk mode. It wants desperately to poison the forum, but has grown weary of being repeat banned 3 times now.

weep hole was always bunk anyway. bunk, bunk, bunk.
c’mon, you know you want to sasquatch77. We know you’re watching.
Come out of hiding, so we can get your new ID banned.

:biggrin:

I have seen a couple of 1-2 post wonders claiming they have blown engines or other assorted Gen 2 problems, so I think he is still lurking on the sidelines biding his time for a torturous comeback...

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
just did the plugs in my 18 SCrew

1)new plugs came gapped at .028
2)its an easy DIY job - engine cover comes off with 2 10mm bolts, 8mm bolt for each coil pack, and spark plug socket with short and medium extension to remove the plugs. Much easier access than an LS motor
3)old plugs at 1600 miles burned with clean electrodes
4)I did not disconnect the battery or reboot the ECU

impressions - a must do. The engine is much smoother and no more stutter on acceleration. Idle is smoother as well. This is a must do IMHO, truck should come from the factory with these plugs

So would you say the stock plugs were burning clean and at the right temperature? What was the gap?

Reason I'm asking is because putting colder temp range plugs in should cause buildup if the old ones weren't running too hot. Also, if the new ones are gapped well at 28, and the old ones were worn and not gapped right to begin with, that could part of the difference you're seeing.

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So would you say the stock plugs were burning clean and at the right temperature? What was the gap?

Reason I'm asking is because putting colder temp range plugs in should cause buildup if the old ones weren't running too hot. Also, if the new ones are gapped well at 28, and the old ones were worn and not gapped right to begin with, that could part of the difference you're seeing.

The porcelain was clean, maybe too clean. I'm used to reading plugs on my turbo track cars and typically I don't like to see the porcelain that way. The old plugs only had 1500 miles on them and the gap was ~ .030. IMHO I'd rather run the plugs on the colder side to avoid detonation. Its been upper 90 deg in Houston