Something I noticed today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fts

Reaction score
Wireless charging is very slow and inefficient. You may notice your phone gets very hot during wireless charging, most of the energy turns into heat rather than battery power. Whereas, running wireless Android Auto or CarPlay consumes significant battery charge because it running all the wireless protocols and the apps, etc. so, what you are experiencing is very normal.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always have Waze running so I know where the speed traps are. Personally the main reason I want Android Auto. I have a heavy foot.

Also, will be streaming Spotify or a podcast at the same time.
The wireless charger in the truck is probably only rated for 5 Watts - The iPhone only supports up to 7.5 watts so they may have scaled back and gone with the "slower" charger. Things like phone cases and stuff also effect the charing. I'd be curious to hear from an Apple user on this issue. It's probably not too difficult to even replace the wireless pad for a stronger one

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I drove on sport mode over the weekend. Feels very good from dig on a red light. In non sport mode, feels kind of sluggish, like the truck doesn't want to work with me.

Sport mode definitely wakes the truck up. It drinks fuel though. I don't know if that's actually happening because we don't have a real fuel meter, just a computer estimated one - and the distance was dropping way too quickly.
Try tow/haul mode. It's really nice on gen 2. It's what normal mode would have been but for the EPA. It shifts much better and maintains a reasonable rpm range. I really like how it downshifts and holds gears on steep hills. It also turns off the A.S.S. Having stay in mode during power cycles would be awesome.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
I always have Waze running so I know where the speed traps are. Personally the main reason I want Android Auto. I have a heavy foot.

Also, will be streaming Spotify or a podcast at the same time.
FYI - Waze is on iPhone as well as CarPlay.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always thought the default to Neutered mode was to appease the EPA gods, nice to know Ford really listened to all of our complaints -cough- 'recommendations'.

westwind

Reaction score
The wireless charger in the truck is probably only rated for 5 Watts - The iPhone only supports up to 7.5 watts so they may have scaled back and gone with the "slower" charger. Things like phone cases and stuff also effect the charing. I'd be curious to hear from an Apple user on this issue. It's probably not too difficult to even replace the wireless pad for a stronger one
Ford uses the Qi standard, and for iPhones + Qi, you only get 7.5W charging power. For reference, their MagSafe wireless charging pads are able to charge at 15W and their power blocks for wired charging are either 5W or 20W. Only question now is how much power does it take your iPhone to run GPS & BT?

I use an iPhone- I also run Waze and CarPlay.

The charging pad won’t keep up with power usage of my phone. The quote from Raptor18Actual is from a thread in the interior forum.

It seems like 7.5 watts would keep up but the phone gets pretty hot and I wonder if temp is an issue.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try tow/haul mode. It's really nice on gen 2. It's what normal mode would have been but for the EPA. It shifts much better and maintains a reasonable rpm range. I really like how it downshifts and holds gears on steep hills. It also turns off the A.S.S. Having stay in mode during power cycles would be awesome.
So you are saying tow/haul mode for normal driving? Interesting.... May have to try that.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you are saying tow/haul mode for normal driving? Interesting.... May have to try that.
Yup. It's more responsive without being annoying by holding gears so long. I love steep downhills as all I have to do to get a downshift is hit the brakes. When I get off the brakes, it holds the gear nicely. No futzing about with the gear lockout.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. It's more responsive without being annoying by holding gears so long. I love steep downhills as all I have to do to get a downshift is hit the brakes. When I get off the brakes, it holds the gear nicely. No futzing about with the gear lockout.
Will have to try that, but, full disclosure, we don't have hills in Dallas. :)