Software Update for Full Screen CarPlay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp, I guess its my lucky day. My truck wound up in the hands of one of the most experienced Ford techs this dealership has. Spent a few mins with him when I picked it up. Here is what he had to do:
- FOund update available for gateway module (GWM), applied
- After GWM updated, an APIM updated became available, applied
- After APIM updated, another GWM update became available, applied
- After GWM updated, another APIM...applied
- After APIM update, an update to the TCU was available, applied
- After TCU, another GWM, applied....
- After all the GWM, APIM, TCU updates, I appear to be fully updated now

Dayyyyuummmm
Good for you. Do you now have full screen Apple CarPlay?
Unfortunately for most of us, there are not enough "most experienced techs" to be able to figure that out. Going back and forth to my dealer several time about various issues I have come to the conclusion that a lot of these tech are dip Sh its and don't ask questions to try to dig deeper into something.

gdflynn1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good for you. Do you now have full screen Apple CarPlay?
Unfortunately for most of us, there are not enough "most experienced techs" to be able to figure that out. Going back and forth to my dealer several time about various issues I have come to the conclusion that a lot of these tech are dip Sh its and don't ask questions to try to dig deeper into something.
Hello.

Yes - I now have full screen Android Auto (eff Apple ) ;), and now and am on the latest Sync version available.

Bring that sequence of updates they had to perform for me and tell them they arent using the resources available to them (Like the Ford TAC team in dearborne they can call and troubleshoot in real-time.)

Problem is. It took hours for this tech to do it so service departments probably looking to punt more than anything. I dont know.

Good luck to you though and keep us posted.

NinjaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up (new to me - Only 5K miles) 2021 Raptor a few days ago from the dealer and they assured me everything was up to date... I did double check the software update and says i have the latest update / no software to update... I am hoping I will get his full screen apple car play soon.....

gdflynn1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp, I guess its my lucky day. My truck wound up in the hands of one of the most experienced Ford techs this dealership has. Spent a few mins with him when I picked it up. Here is what he had to do:
- FOund update available for gateway module (GWM), applied
- After GWM updated, an APIM updated became available, applied
- After APIM updated, another GWM update became available, applied
- After GWM updated, another APIM...applied
- After APIM update, an update to the TCU was available, applied
- After TCU, another GWM, applied....
- After all the GWM, APIM, TCU updates, I appear to be fully updated now

Dayyyyuummmm
FYI - Just to close the loop on my situation. I can confirm that all of those updates they performed also resolved the issue of my truck never being able to receive OTA updates.

I received my first ever update overnight today. (FPU 4.2.2).

I guess this confirms its all software related updates to various modules to allow you to receive software related updates OTA and not necessarily modules that have to be replaced as I have also read. What a disaster. Hope Ford figures this out so it isn't so complicated for those still impacted.

Raptor18Actual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oct 21 build here...was about to give in and go to the dealer, but to my surprise I got the notification from FordPass this weekend saying I got the 3.5.3 update. I had asked over on the F150 forum and I guess there was a previous attempt in January. Apparently second or third try's the charm. Been parked in the garage connected to wifi, which I still can't tell if it matters or not

PXL_20230423_193222980 - Copy.jpg