Software Update for Full Screen CarPlay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RPG9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read on different applications that Ford has an update which allows 21-22 users to have CarPlay in full screen mode. The requirement is that the APIM must be updated. My Raptor got towed into the dealer last week, so they have the truck for a few more days. Told the service adviser that I wanted to have the update. He tried telling me that I would need to pay for such. @FordTechOne any insight for how to handle this? Figured I would document this on here where others know how to proceed when their dealer ***** them around.

BarryT82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m taking mine in on Friday to hopefully get the update. I’ve had the speaker popping issue twice, the rear occupant enabling screen pops up all of the time, and the preset pages keep disappearing.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have read on different applications that Ford has an update which allows 21-22 users to have CarPlay in full screen mode. The requirement is that the APIM must be updated. My Raptor got towed into the dealer last week, so they have the truck for a few more days. Told the service adviser that I wanted to have the update. He tried telling me that I would need to pay for such. @FordTechOne any insight for how to handle this? Figured I would document this on here where others know how to proceed when their dealer ***** them around.
Software updates without a customer concern are typically customer pay. However, I would think some dealers would do it as a courtesy, but they’re all different.

2021+ models have Over the Air update capability, so I would check the settings in the Sync screen to see if it’s turned on and if an update is available.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our dealer does it for free, but som greedy dealers will charge for it.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dealers charge money for things it’s where they make money. Believe it or not service is the more profitable side of the industry over sales for dealers.

I’m more interested in “why” your raptor was towed in..

OP
OP
RPG9

RPG9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dealers charge money for things it’s where they make money. Believe it or not service is the more profitable side of the industry over sales for dealers.

I’m more interested in “why” your raptor was towed in..
I am well aware how a Service department operates. A brand new truck breaking down and being towed in after I have bought 4 new Ford trucks this year, I think you could waive the $180 fee to upgrade it. I paid to have it upgraded since the next closest dealer is 4 hours away round trip (not worth my time to drive). Most people that I have read on FB and other places haven’t paid a dime to have this upgrade. This is how it should have came from the factory:
1A242CF8-D85D-44EA-BC19-DDFAA4574C71.jpeg
Stay tuned for another thread to see “why” it had to be towed and Ford’s lovely service in fixing everything.

RaptorAddict1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am well aware how a Service department operates. A brand new truck breaking down and being towed in after I have bought 4 new Ford trucks this year, I think you could waive the $180 fee to upgrade it. I paid to have it upgraded since the next closest dealer is 4 hours away round trip (not worth my time to drive). Most people that I have read on FB and other places haven’t paid a dime to have this upgrade. This is how it should have came from the factory:
View attachment 386605
Stay tuned for another thread to see “why” it had to be towed and Ford’s lovely service in fixing everything.
Can you swap back and forth to the smaller CarPlay? I like having the smaller CarPlay when I’m towing so I can have the rear camera going at the same time. Full size CarPlay would be nice though when not towing.

OP
OP
RPG9

RPG9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you swap back and forth to the smaller CarPlay? I like having the smaller CarPlay when I’m towing so I can have the rear camera going at the same time. Full size CarPlay would be nice though when not towing.
Yes, you can. Just click the the two arrows in the upper left hand of the screen and it will be in the smaller orientation with apps on the side.
3E6E1ACA-EB3B-45B6-A403-33C3ECBF5090.jpeg
Ironically I used my bed camera for the first time while driving today. Surprised it’s not higher quality.

RaptorAddict1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can. Just click the the two arrows in the upper left hand of the screen and it will be in the smaller orientation with apps on the side.
View attachment 386691
Ironically I used my bed camera for the first time while driving today. Surprised it’s not higher quality.
Nice! Good to know. And yeah the bed camera quality leaves a lot to be desired. It’s a lot better than my gen 1 bed camera though ;) it was so awful when I used to have to use mirrors to look back there!