Soft Rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

I've got the RPG Stage 3 Kit, National Standard Springs and stock Fox Shocks. The last month or so I've been feeling like the rear just isn't soaking up the road like it used to. It seems like I'm smashing the bump cans on the smallest of uneven terrain lately, and even other people that ride in the truck have noticed it.

Before I take the truck apart, I'd like to have an idea what my plan should be. Is it more likely that I've stressed my leafs carrying a bunch of weight on a 3000+ mile trip, or that I've blown the shocks out along the way?

If it's shocks...that's easy enough to figure out how to fix. With springs, should I be looking at sending them back to National for a rebuild, finding a local shop to rebuild, or would they need to replaced?

Thanks for any help..just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. I also haven't ruled out the possibility that it's all in my head.

I have the same problem. I origionally ordered the HD's because I knew I would be towing a small trailer and I have a bed cage and all the prerunner equip in the back. I ended up with the standard springs for some reason. My trip to Death Valley did the springs in. Now when I go off road, the springs allow the rear to hit the bump stops even when I am just crawling over the rocks etc. That's how I found out that I ended up with the standard springs that came with my stage 3 kit. RPG is being very good about it and sending out the HD's that should have origionally come with the kit.
I think this is what you should be looking at if your hauling that much for that long.
Mil T

OP
OP
panda

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the shocks a week or two ago, they're definitely gone. Going to rebuild/recharge them for now, but upgrades will follow shortly.