Soft Rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

I've got the RPG Stage 3 Kit, National Standard Springs and stock Fox Shocks. The last month or so I've been feeling like the rear just isn't soaking up the road like it used to. It seems like I'm smashing the bump cans on the smallest of uneven terrain lately, and even other people that ride in the truck have noticed it.

Before I take the truck apart, I'd like to have an idea what my plan should be. Is it more likely that I've stressed my leafs carrying a bunch of weight on a 3000+ mile trip, or that I've blown the shocks out along the way?

If it's shocks...that's easy enough to figure out how to fix. With springs, should I be looking at sending them back to National for a rebuild, finding a local shop to rebuild, or would they need to replaced?

Thanks for any help..just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. I also haven't ruled out the possibility that it's all in my head.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do the shocks appear to have any fluid leaking at the bottom? Or crusty dirt stuck to old leaked fluid?

yje3emem.jpg

utu7y3a4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
panda

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the shocks appear to have any fluid leaking at the bottom? Or crusty dirt stuck to old leaked fluid?

I'll peak my head under there this evening. I've been meaning to for a while, but I haven't remembered at a time when I didn't mind getting dirty.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll peak my head under there this evening. I've been meaning to for a while, but I haven't remembered at a time when I didn't mind getting dirty.

Your Nationals are standard right? How heavy was the load? They are new enough I really doubt they are already an issue. I would think is more likely the shocks. Starting to get some miles on them now. May be time for new fluid and seals.

Or a good excuse to upgrade! 3.0's?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have also been considering upping my leaf springs. I'd like to get the standards with +2" arch. Currently I have no arch, and she squats quite a bit whenever I tow the popup.

Let us know what national says about a rebuild if you go that route.
Thanks,
Joe

Jackemuphigh21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff how many miles do you have on your springs now?

I'm about 4k on my HDs and I'm starting to bump the cans on the street every now and then where I never did until recently. I know the springs settle quite a bit after a while. My shocks have barely weeped any fluid and I only have 15k on the truck so I don't really think it's the shocks being wore out. I would make the call to national first thing and see what they recommend. No one knows their product or it's characteristics better than they do.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff were gonna have to figure this out. You've had yours for longer than I have, but I feel this way too. As you know I just have the leafs but they seem like they don't soak up much anymore. It almost feels like they are shot. My drivers side sags like yours as well.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Feels flat... Like there is no arch left in them.. I am experiencing the same feeling.. Almost i am carrying a load in the bed when the bed is empty...

-Greg