GEN 2 Snow Settings for Dummies (me)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrangeJuice

Reaction score
With the polar vortex and snow blanketing most of the US, I thought it was appropriate for a quick tutorial on the best settings for snow (and different depths/types of snow).

I admit I haven’t had much time to play in the snow and anytime there’s been a little snow, I’ve just used 4A and haven’t had any issue.

Can you snow experts break down different settings, what they do and what conditions they are best in? I need some proper schooling!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a snow expert, but I did learn pretty much this season so far. To drive in deep snow, put it in "Deep Snow/Sand" mode, and lock the rear differential. That will get you through DEEP snow. If you also want to play and throw it around, press and hold the Traction Control to turn it off, you will then be able to do nice drifts and slides. I tried 2 wheel Baja mode and it gave me way too much wheelspin in deep snow, I would think it would be great fun in shallower snow.

Here's 2 snow threads I made recently that other members gave input of their experience on also.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...ucks-ever-fun-in-the-snow.81736/#post-1594618

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...difference-in-performance.82071/#post-1600929

Last edited:

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
However the E-locker doesn’t operate over ~20 mph, right?

Thanks

From what I have read and experienced, the locker will not ENGAGE over 20 mph. It will operate over 20 mph, but DISENGAGE above 55mph, and re-engage when you drop below 55 again. When I set it up to run on the snow track I made, it was always locked when I pitched it into the corners. It was consistent for the hour I ran the track.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
@Oldfart may have something when in deep snow, but for just driving around town 4A is awesome if it’s a light dusting, or you’re running into icy patches at intersections. Anything over 2” and I throw the truck in 4H. To me the “Slippery” mode just dulls the throttle response and irritate the hell out of me.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've used snow mode a few times, but 2H Normal mode with traction control on is so well-mannered on snow that usually I don't bother. If it's extra slippery or extra deep, sure, but day to day snow? Not needed. The thing people around here forget that gets them into trouble is that all cars have four wheel braking. I think it's because we really don't get that much snow and people don't get much practice. Back before traction control, most of the cars in the ditch around here were 4x4s. They were great until you lost it, and then it was all over. I think because of that experience, I just can't bring myself to push this trucks limits on snow with other cars around.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a snow expert, but I did learn pretty much this season so far. To drive in deep snow, put it in "Deep Snow/Mud" mode, and lock the rear differential. That will get you through DEEP snow. If you also want to play and throw it around, press and hold the Traction Control to turn it off, you will then be able to do nice drifts and slides. I tried 2 wheel Baja mode and it gave me way too much wheelspin in deep snow, I would think it would be great fun in shallower snow.

Here's 2 snow threads I made recently that other members gave input of their experience on also.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...ucks-ever-fun-in-the-snow.81736/#post-1594618

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...difference-in-performance.82071/#post-1600929
@Oldfart as I recall you have a 2020 - is “Deep Snow/Mud” an actual setting? My 2018 has a “weather” mode and a “sand/mud” mode.
Weather mode is obviously snow/ice mode with 4A and dampened throttle response.