Scratch Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robmax72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys. Here is the dilemma. I have brush scratches on the sides of my truck. I went to Autozone and of course they have 35 products for scratches. Question is what product or process is the best for taking care of scratches?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Finally a question I can answer :). Now there will be a million different opinions on this but for off the shelf stuff, spend the money on Meguairs.

What I would do is hit the paint first with a good cleaner to get rid of the "easy" scratches and hazing to see what you're really working with.

MegsDC1.jpg

if it still looks like shit(probably only on the sides reflective surfaces) hit it with:

41fBmxm%2BU9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Top coat, unfortunately I hate working with Meguiars wax, so use the Auto Glym HD wax(Wal-Mart $40). It's what I used on my truck for my sig picture.

483604.1-lg.jpg

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Damn Bird - you sure do know your wax...
Are ya as well versed with that pic of **** Lube you posted last week?

JK - I've never seen meguires stuff here in Canada, but will look for it. I have a couple scratches deeper than others, and am looking to find something to take them out nicely.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
If you can feel them with your fingernail they won't be rubbing out. Factory clear coat is very thin so tread lightly. Very easy to burn through.

Bird's advice is solid. Start with a cleaner and if that doesn't do the trick go up to Meguires fine-cut. Beyond that you better know what you are doing or you will get into trouble fast. Do it by hand unless you are skilled with a buffer. If you use a buffer make sure it is a buffer and not a grinder with a polishing bonnet. The RPM range is completely different. Good luck.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Go figure the color of your truck. I think that thread is titled "Black is a joy, no BITCH" for that reason alone. But it does look good cleaned.

SERG09

Hi Ho Silver
Reaction score
I've used several of these products Glare :: Auto Polish :: Home with pretty good success. Great scratch removal and a deep shine ... most noticeable on darker colors imo. Wax/polish is subjective and like discussing religion to some ... lots of good products. Griots Garage also sells good products for scratch/polish/wax. Let the games begin :boxing:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
So its good to get out the swirls you see on black trucks in the sun too?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
So its good to get out the swirls you see on black trucks in the sun too?

my truck doesn't have any swirls or hazing yet, even without wax it still looks near perfect in the sun after half a winter. the key is preventing the swirls by washing and waxing your truck properly. without a buffer- even just a 6" random orbital you won't see a showroom type shine if you have any scratches. the key is heating the wax products enough to really penetrate the scratches. just hand waxing will create a shine coat but will not remedy the scratches for a long period of time.