Ride quality changed after new tires but it's not tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I am open to the possibility that it's the tires. But... The first set was a set of new Ridge Grapplers that had this issue. That is when I put the new KO2's back on to eliminate that possibility. (Sorry left that out) I Appreciate the help and advice. First shop was Big O that a friend of mine owns. The second was Discount tire. Thanks again!

That’s a purely coincidental change but it doesn’t really rule anything in or out because you don’t really have a ‘control’ - that is, your known, good, previous set of tires. You can ham fistedly test the mounted assembly in a similar way to bikers check chain alignment.

the tire/wheel needs to be mounted on the truck and be able to spin free or on a machine that will spin freely. put a fixed object like a pencil or chalk or something similar that won’t bugger up the wheel or tire right next to it, but not quite touching. slowly spin the wheel and eyeball the gap between your wheel and fixed object. Repeat with the top of the wheel or surface. spin slowly. This isn’t precise, it’s approximate. You may be able to rule in/out a wheel issue.

you didn’t rotate in the spare wheel did you, or change anything else?

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back in the day , on my 1993 454ss , Tire shop bent a wheel using the tire machine, i had weird vibration. couldn't prove they did it because i wasn't out there watching them. Luckily spare was same exact rim . So i was able to use that. I watch now every time my tires are changed or rotated .

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Back in the day , on my 1993 454ss , Tire shop bent a wheel using the tire machine, i had weird vibration. couldn't prove they did it because i wasn't out there watching them. Luckily spare was same exact rim . So i was able to use that. I watch now every time my tires are changed or rotated .

Yeah, smart policy. I got a ration of shaming here for being a hard ass about zero impact wrench use. I had a lug stripped previously, but according to some on FRF, that never happens, even when it does happen to someone on FRF, with pics. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tire shop staff aren’t changing tires at tire shops because they’re bored with their master tech job at the stealership... Watch them closely and question behavior that is questionable.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, smart policy. I got a ration of shaming here for being a hard ass about zero impact wrench use. I had a lug stripped previously, but according to some on FRF, that never happens, even when it does happen to someone on FRF, with pics. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tire shop staff aren’t changing tires at tire shops because they’re bored with their master tech job at the stealership... Watch them closely and question behavior that is questionable.

A lot of people don’t realize the difference between a typical consumer grade air compressor and impact gun and the commercial versions used at most shops. They typically run much higher air pressure and have impacts capable of well over 800 lb/ft of torque. As you mention, over tightening can stretch the threads, damage the wheel, and snap the stud.

Most Ford Quicklanes and dealer Express Service departments use a combination of an impact gun, torque stick, and torque wrench. They zip the lugs down using the impact gun with the torque limiting stick and then lower the car to the ground and torque the life to spec by hand. That is the best combination to achieve both efficiency and accuracy.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My vote. Drive shaft is going and purely coincidental.
Ah, but if you got the dough, just buy a new set of tires and see if it fixes it. Then new aftermarket wheels.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Most Ford Quicklanes and dealer Express Service departments use a combination of an impact gun, torque stick, and torque wrench. They zip the lugs down using the impact gun with the torque limiting stick and then lower the car to the ground and torque the life to spec by hand. That is the best combination to achieve both efficiency and accuracy.

I’ve had the local stealership tell me about this when I dropped the ‘no impact wrenches’ requirement. I know there’s a great deal of discrepancy with stealership service departments but in this regard, I’ve found them to be more careful, more respectful and caring, especially when you come in with a ‘cool’ vehicle. I usually clarify explicitly what I want with the S/A up front and if there’s any doubt I tell them that no is an acceptable answer, no hard feelings. I’ve just had far, far better success with local stealership for alignment, anything where the wheels come off, and work that’s not your typical shade tree / not easy to do in a driveway work. Tire shops and the like are trying to get you in and out as fast as possible, with time being their primary driver.