Rattles...what’s your tolerance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't ride in Prius's, but haven't heard close to the same level of rattles in Toyotas versus these. My dad has a Tundra, mom/brother/sister all drive 4runners. My dad has driven Tundras since I can remember, and my sister is in my mom's 2009 4runner with over 200k. None of them have rattles. I rode 10hr either way in my cousin's 5yo 90k mile Tundra a few weeks ago to the beach and was astonished at how quiet the interior was...no rattles, clunks, squeaks. My fiancé's GX470 now has around 60k and the same.

Not my choice, you service what comes in. Sorry to hear about your family, but your evidence is entirely anecdotal and clearly biased. I've worked on enough Toyotas, "Lexus" (a brand created for the sole purpose of selling overpriced Toyotas) and Scions (rebadged Toyotas and a discontinued failure) and they have plenty of interior creaks, groans, rattles, and squeaks. The Tundra's frame is so weak that the bed contacts the cab when driven over rough terrain, yet you're telling me they have no NVH issues? It's simply a ridiculous assertion. The link I posted to one of thousands of posts from a Toyota forum is a great example. Are you insinuating that the concern you posted on this forum F-150 is legitimate, and those posted on the Toyota forum are not?

It isn't a coolaid. There is a reason Toyota beats most domestics over and over in reliability. Their stuff is considerably behind domestics in most categories, but that isn't one of them.

You're drinking the kool-aid. Toyota vehicles require service and repair just like any other vehicle in existence; they do not have some kind of magical formula for service-free vehicles despite what their brainwashed followers often believe. I've made a lot of money on those people, and they're often so brainwashed that they still buy into the fallacy. All you need to do is look up Tundra/Sequioa/LX570/Land Cruiser (3UR-FE) cam tower oil leaks, low mileage water pump failures, air injection pump failures, camshaft failures (early models), the Tundra/Tacoma/4Runner frame rust lawsuits, the 2ZA-FE oil consumption class action, the 8 speed transmission failures, 3.4 (5VZ-FE) head gasket failures, 2.7 (3RZ-FE) burnt valves, the list goes on for miles. Personally, I've seen more than my share of them in the field. Buying an outdated, cheaply made vehicle based based on the false pretense of "reliability" is simply foolish. To this day, the 2020 4Runner is still using the same 4.0 V6 and 5 speed automatic as it has for 20 years; even the new "lexus" models don't have a touch screen, and instead have a distracting and useless knob to control the infotainment, in what seems to be a throwback to BMW 2 decades ago.

This is the type of company that Toyota is; they cover up defects, deny all wrongdoing, and force consumers into non-disclosure agreements while profiting tens of billions off of the US economy. They lost a class action lawsuit to the tune of $3.4 Billion, and still had this to say:

"Toyota admitted no liability or wrongdoing in the proposed settlement filed on Wednesday before U.S. District Judge Fernando Olguin in Los Angeles."

It speaks volumes. They also tried to blame Dana Corp. for the frames rust issues, but a hole was punched through that theory when it was found that 4Runner frames (built exclusively in Japan) were rusting out just as quickly as Tundra/Taco/Sequoia frames. Toyota supplied the specifications, Dana built the frames to those specs, and they still tried to throw them under the bus because they're an American supplier. That is Japanese business culture.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-toyota-settlement-idUSKBN1370PE

While American companies like Ford are building face masks and face shields to help our country get through the pandemic, Toyota is busy figuring out how to capitalize and profit off of our situation. No red blooded American should ever be complacent with that. It's disgusting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Socalbeachbum

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same rattle same spot for me, Supercab. Taking it in for first service if I have any luck I will pass it on. Also getting drivers seat bottom looked at, excessive wrinkles in leather.
What I noticed was the passenger door is much more solid. The plastic trim seems to have less play on the on that side.

WH7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link on this?

I don't. I read it on this site some time ago. Caught my attention because I have the same issue.
Someone said that they complained to the dealer about the driver door handle squeaking when they
rested their knee on it. The dealer put foam inside the handle and it fixed the squeak. I searched
but couldn't find that thread.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not my choice, you service what comes in. Sorry to hear about your family, but your evidence is entirely anecdotal and clearly biased. I've worked on enough Toyotas, "Lexus" (a brand created for the sole purpose of selling overpriced Toyotas) and Scions (rebadged Toyotas and a discontinued failure) and they have plenty of interior creaks, groans, rattles, and squeaks. The Tundra's frame is so weak that the bed contacts the cab when driven over rough terrain, yet you're telling me they have no NVH issues? It's simply a ridiculous assertion. The link I posted to one of thousands of posts from a Toyota forum is a great example. Are you insinuating that the concern you posted on this forum F-150 is legitimate, and those posted on the Toyota forum are not?

You're drinking the kool-aid. Toyota vehicles require service and repair just like any other vehicle in existence; they do not have some kind of magical formula for service-free vehicles despite what their brainwashed followers often believe. I've made a lot of money on those people, and they're often so brainwashed that they still buy into the fallacy. All you need to do is look up Tundra/Sequioa/LX570/Land Cruiser (3UR-FE) cam tower oil leaks, low mileage water pump failures, air injection pump failures, camshaft failures (early models), the Tundra/Tacoma/4Runner frame rust lawsuits, the 2ZA-FE oil consumption class action, the 8 speed transmission failures, 3.4 (5VZ-FE) head gasket failures, 2.7 (3RZ-FE) burnt valves, the list goes on for miles. Personally, I've seen more than my share of them in the field. Buying an outdated, cheaply made vehicle based based on the false pretense of "reliability" is simply foolish. To this day, the 2020 4Runner is still using the same 4.0 V6 and 5 speed automatic as it has for 20 years; even the new "lexus" models don't have a touch screen, and instead have a distracting and useless knob to control the infotainment, in what seems to be a throwback to BMW 2 decades ago.

This is the type of company that Toyota is; they cover up defects, deny all wrongdoing, and force consumers into non-disclosure agreements while profiting tens of billions off of the US economy. They lost a class action lawsuit to the tune of $3.4 Billion, and still had this to say:

"Toyota admitted no liability or wrongdoing in the proposed settlement filed on Wednesday before U.S. District Judge Fernando Olguin in Los Angeles."

It speaks volumes. They also tried to blame Dana Corp. for the frames rust issues, but a hole was punched through that theory when it was found that 4Runner frames (built exclusively in Japan) were rusting out just as quickly as Tundra/Taco/Sequoia frames. Toyota supplied the specifications, Dana built the frames to those specs, and they still tried to throw them under the bus because they're an American supplier. That is Japanese business culture.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-toyota-settlement-idUSKBN1370PE

While American companies like Ford are building face masks and face shields to help our country get through the pandemic, Toyota is busy figuring out how to capitalize and profit off of our situation. No red blooded American should ever be complacent with that. It's disgusting.

My statement is biased, and yours clearly is as well. It's my post, my opinion, and subjective...and so is yours. If it was so heavily "biased", I would be driving a Tundra/Taco and trashing Fords everywhere I go. I've driven Fords my whole life, and buy a new one every one or two years. I've noticed when people claim some deficiency with Ford on this forum, you often call them out, become defensive, and sometimes derogatory. We all appreciate your input and help, as you have tons of experience with these trucks. However, as things happen and these trucks aren't perfect so you will have to allow some level of complaints related to the ownership experience.

My experience with little to no rattles on Toyotas is just as "anecdotal" as yours. My opinion is that Toyotas have less rattles. Toyota has beaten Ford year after year in reliability from data collected from multiple independent research corporations, so my opinion happens to be partially backed up by research. You can pick through the internet and find specific incidences of failure for anything. The same could be said for ANY vehicle manufacture, whether lawsuit, TSB, or recall. The people on AR15.com do the same thing...someone says a gun is good, and some guy googles "problem" and a loose barrel nut on a consecutive number of rifles is thoroughly pounded in the next reply.

Ignition switches, exploding fuel tanks , and speed control modules are just a few Ford issues that lead to deaths off of the top of my mind, and not all were immediately released. I can also google more issues, but I won't because we both know they exist. I never claimed that you did not have to complete regular maintenance on them, either...so I'm not sure why you mentioned that. Ford, Lincoln, Mercury...Toyota, Lexus, Scion...almost all of the manufactures have their generic, luxury, and failed brands. Once again, I specifically mentioned Ford being ahead in technology and that's one reason I have stuck with them. I can't argue with that fact, as you just supported it.

I would say that it's going a little too far to say that Toyota is doing nothing but "capitalizing on our situation" while Ford is doing nothing but helping our country through the pandemic. That is unsubstantiated and horribly subjective. Toyota also made masks, filters, and were (not sure if they did) building ventilators. They brought vehicle manufacturing here, when other US companies outsourced. I'm not claiming that Toyota is infallible, although by your response one would think I was. I obviously don't hate them to the level you do, either. I get it, I offended you by claiming that Ford's reliability was below Toyota. My bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Socalbeachbum

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it to the dealer and they heard the rattle. They took the door panel off and said the 10 clips that hold the door panel in were stretched. They tried saying I had work done on the truck and took off the door panel. After a few back and forths they just ordered new clips for it.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took it to the dealer and they heard the rattle. They took the door panel off and said the 10 clips that hold the door panel in were stretched. They tried saying I had work done on the truck and took off the door panel. After a few back and forths they just ordered new clips for it.

Service guys that try to pull that stunt want to overcharge you for the work instead of having Ford pay them what it's worth. If Ford could fire their dealers the world would be a better place.

OP
OP
Socalbeachbum

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service guys that try to pull that stunt want to overcharge you for the work instead of having Ford pay them what it's worth. If Ford could fire their dealers the world would be a better place.
I’m not understanding what you’re saying? Are you saying you don’t think it’s the clips?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not understanding what you’re saying? Are you saying you don’t think it’s the clips?

It's probably the clips. They ran a bluff on you that failed. Had you said "Well, gee, maybe coulda' been me." they'd have said it wasn't covered under warranty and charged you a fortune to fix it. Now they only get what FMC will pay them and that's a lot less. I've been reading about dealership service departments and many, if not most, are on a commission basis. The more the service advisor gets you to spend, the more he makes. They pull all sorts of ****** tricks that you need to be aware of or you'll get taken. Step one is to review the owners manual before you go in, every time. They love to recommend unneeded maintenance and who remembers when you're due for things like plugs or filters or transmission fluid. They're nice. They're friendly. They're likeable. They're professional. And their job is to take you for every penny they can. It's *****.