Rattles...what’s your tolerance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Socalbeachbum

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry bud. Made a comment responding to your OP and immediately got called out about my opinion. I wasn't trying to hijack your thread, as I have some rattles and it's always to see if other people have them in the same areas.

My 2017 XLT had an interior close to the 800a and the 2018 Lariat had one close to the 802a. My Raptor is an 802a. From my experience, the leather-wrapped dash, console, and door panels rattle less than the non-leather wrapped (dash/console specifically). The plastic dash also had a tendency to warp behind the defrosters...I had my dash replaced in the XLT due to this, and it rattled worse afterwards.

Overall, I've noticed that the more I mess with things (take door panels off, change speakers, etc) while searching for a rattle, I make it worse or create new rattles. I poke a hole through a sliver of silicone tape and put that between the screw and the clips, and that seems to help in some areas. Other areas do well with 3/8 " adhesive foam insulating tape, and wires can be silenced with the cloth wire loop tape. Another thing that squeaks in these trucks is the rubber trim around the door and sunroof. I used Nextzett Gummi Pfledge Stift (yes, that's how you spell it) for the doors and Krytox for the sunroof. The Krytox will also help prevent future sunroof damage from opening/closing, and is apparently made of liquid gold considering the price.
Thanks! I was being sarcastic all is good. Thanks for the tips.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I was being sarcastic all is good. Thanks for the tips.
I believe the Raptor is basically a Lariat interior. Anyhow, I have 32,000 miles in my 2018 802a. No rattles yet.

I’m particular sensitive to rattles since my other two cars are Mercedes and the dealer will fix rattles all the way up to the 50k mile warranty plus they give us a MB loaner while they track down the source. MB owners are known to be high maintenance and the service people are trained to baby us. I use 3 different MB dealers in the area depending on their opening and their level of service has been consistently great.

On one occasion, my windshield on my Benz needed to be replaced and it has a lane keep assist, which means that a dealer calibration was required after the windshield is replaced. I dropped my car off at the dealer, scheduled the glass replacement company to do the replacement at the dealer, and then I asked for a loaner from the dealer and they gave me one without any hesitation.

Ford owners are less winey. Ford level of service is hit or miss depending on the dealer, the SA, and the tech. Whether they will chase down a rattle for you or just call you a picky baby is unpredictable. It doesn’t matter if you bought a $20,000 Ford Focus or a loaded $92,000 F350. To the service desk, you’re all the same.

I’m not saying this is unique to Ford. I just think that Ford owners are more tolerable to manufacturing flaws than say Lincoln owners.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My sunroof has started to rattle. I need to clean the tracks and check for any loose hardware. Anything else to keep an eye out for?

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sunroof has started to rattle. I need to clean the tracks and check for any loose hardware. Anything else to keep an eye out for?
Have you tried lubing the rubber seals? You can order the Ford recommended Krytox lube. But I found spray silicone lube to be easier to apply. The rubber seals soak them up like a sponge and no more rattle.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried lubing the rubber seals? You can order the Ford recommended Krytox lube. But I found spray silicone lube to be easier to apply. The rubber seals soak them up like a sponge and no more rattle.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll try that!