ARB Twin Air Compressor Under Seat Install and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navy2x

Reaction score
I completed my ARB twin air compressor install this weekend. I looked through countless posts on here to get ideas on where to install it. I was never really happy with the other locations I saw. I didn't want to put it in the engine compartment, I didn't want to drill into the frame, I didn't want it in the truck bed because I have a Retrax Pro and that already takes up a lot of space. I don't plan on having air lockers and will likely not do much off-roading, but I did want the ability to have a general purpose air compressor and inflate the tires if needed. I found this under seat bracket mount on NH overland and ended up going this route: https://www.nhoverland.com/products/15-f150-rear-under-seat-compressor-mount

My '22 Raptor came with the foldable lockable storage option when I bought it used. I'm usually running it with two car seats installed so this storage option is essentially useless since I can't fold up the seats. I removed it and now have more usable space and the ability to install the bracket. I bought the WeatherTech 2nd Row Under Seat Cargo Area only mats to cover up the exposed bolts. They aren't a perfect fit with my existing OEM mats but its good enough for me. https://www.weathertech.com/ford/20...-fold-flat-storage/no/?OrderItemId=2160976687

I wanted to be able to control the air compressor at its installed location, but I also wanted a cut off switch so my 5 year old son didn't accidentally start it when he was climbing into his car seat. So my plan was to have the ARB switch on the bracket but also wire it in series to one of the upfitter aux switches. I accomplished this by heavily modifying the wiring harness. The harness comes with the ARB switch close to the battery terminal connectors, but I needed it close to the compressor connectors. I cut off the air locker connectors (Switch 1 and Switch 2 on the wiring diagram) and the ARB switch (Isolation Switch) and used some of the left over air locker wires to reconnect the ARB switch to the other side. It took some planning but it wasn't too bad. I did a lot of testing before I actually installed everything. I also combined the "To Ignition" and "To Dash Illumination" wires which is supposed to go to a live wire after ignition and the dash illumination wires. I then plugged those combined wires into my Aux 5 wire. I didn't really care about the ARB button illumination being controlled by the dash lights, but what is cool about this set up is that the ARB button is only active and lit up if Aux 5 is on, and Aux 5 is only active if there is accessory power. This way I can make the ARB button live by enabling Aux 5, then I can turn on the compressor with the ARB button from the side of the bracket.

After reworking the wiring harness I wrapped it all up in electrical tape. I also had to buy about 15 ft of 8 gauge wire to run power from the compressor to the battery. Since I had a twin compressor I had to run two red and one black wires. I used solder to connect the wire extensions and then I used heat shrink and more electrical tape. I used wire loom to cover the whole wire set across the run. I ran all the wires from under the rear passenger seat, under the back carpet, along the lower door jam under the kick plate and to the passenger front door jamb. There is a rubber grommet just under the carpet on the passenger front seat that allows you to pass a wire to the under side of the truck. I drilled a small hold in the rubber grommet and shoved all the wires through. I then zip tied them all and ran them to the battery. I had to buy a set of 8 gauge terminal connectors to connect them to the battery which I also soldered.

Installing the bracket was a bit challenging. My Raptor has the 2 kW Pro Power on board so the inverter is right under the passenger rear seat where the bracket goes. The bracket hit the corner edge of the plastic housing, but I was able to file the screw slots just a bit to make it all fit.

While I had the car seats out of the truck, I also installed a BuiltRight Seat Bottom Divider Panel. My subwoofer (I think) is in the storage area behind this panel but I used the Molle pattern to install some Quick Fist mounts to keep some cargo that I have from flying around while driving.

All in all I'm very happy with the set up! Final photos in the next post.

--------

Photos of Install

Modified wiring harness:
IMG_1171 (Medium).jpg

Power Wire Extension:
IMG_1144 (Medium).jpg

Front Passenger seat grommet location:
IMG_1146 (Medium).jpg

OP
OP
navy2x

navy2x

Reaction score
Final install photos

Attachments

• IMG_1232 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1232 (Medium).jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1228 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1228 (Medium).jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1233 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1233 (Medium).jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1234 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1234 (Medium).jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1231 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1231 (Medium).jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 146

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped by Off-Road Warehouse this morning and picked one up for $523.
Yeah looks like only when ARB themselves drop the price is when retailers can. Been watching this thing all year- never goes on sale

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a Viar 400p portable unit. I was thinking about going portable again since I am not sure exactly where I should mount this in my truck and mounting becomes permanent.

How much stronger is the ARB than the 400p? The 400p gets burning hot by the time I take all 4 of my tires from 18psi to 34. It does the job but has been in service for about 10 years now, and I'm worried that the next time I use it could be its last in the middle of nowhere. ARB seems to make a portable unit, but it is a lot more expensive than the unit listed in the post.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Viar 400p portable unit. I was thinking about going portable again since I am not sure exactly where I should mount this in my truck and mounting becomes permanent.

How much stronger is the ARB than the 400p? The 400p gets burning hot by the time I take all 4 of my tires from 18psi to 34. It does the job but has been in service for about 10 years now, and I'm worried that the next time I use it could be its last in the middle of nowhere. ARB seems to make a portable unit, but it is a lot more expensive than the unit listed in the post.
The ARB dual is 100% duty. Doesn’t need a break and airs up 37s in like a min or 2

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completed my ARB twin air compressor install this weekend. I looked through countless posts on here to get ideas on where to install it. I was never really happy with the other locations I saw. I didn't want to put it in the engine compartment, I didn't want to drill into the frame, I didn't want it in the truck bed because I have a Retrax Pro and that already takes up a lot of space. I don't plan on having air lockers and will likely not do much off-roading, but I did want the ability to have a general purpose air compressor and inflate the tires if needed. I found this under seat bracket mount on NH overland and ended up going this route: https://www.nhoverland.com/products/15-f150-rear-under-seat-compressor-mount

My '22 Raptor came with the foldable lockable storage option when I bought it used. I'm usually running it with two car seats installed so this storage option is essentially useless since I can't fold up the seats. I removed it and now have more usable space and the ability to install the bracket. I bought the WeatherTech 2nd Row Under Seat Cargo Area only mats to cover up the exposed bolts. They aren't a perfect fit with my existing OEM mats but its good enough for me. https://www.weathertech.com/ford/20...-fold-flat-storage/no/?OrderItemId=2160976687

I wanted to be able to control the air compressor at its installed location, but I also wanted a cut off switch so my 5 year old son didn't accidentally start it when he was climbing into his car seat. So my plan was to have the ARB switch on the bracket but also wire it in series to one of the upfitter aux switches. I accomplished this by heavily modifying the wiring harness. The harness comes with the ARB switch close to the battery terminal connectors, but I needed it close to the compressor connectors. I cut off the air locker connectors (Switch 1 and Switch 2 on the wiring diagram) and the ARB switch (Isolation Switch) and used some of the left over air locker wires to reconnect the ARB switch to the other side. It took some planning but it wasn't too bad. I did a lot of testing before I actually installed everything. I also combined the "To Ignition" and "To Dash Illumination" wires which is supposed to go to a live wire after ignition and the dash illumination wires. I then plugged those combined wires into my Aux 5 wire. I didn't really care about the ARB button illumination being controlled by the dash lights, but what is cool about this set up is that the ARB button is only active and lit up if Aux 5 is on, and Aux 5 is only active if there is accessory power. This way I can make the ARB button live by enabling Aux 5, then I can turn on the compressor with the ARB button from the side of the bracket.

After reworking the wiring harness I wrapped it all up in electrical tape. I also had to buy about 15 ft of 8 gauge wire to run power from the compressor to the battery. Since I had a twin compressor I had to run two red and one black wires. I used solder to connect the wire extensions and then I used heat shrink and more electrical tape. I used wire loom to cover the whole wire set across the run. I ran all the wires from under the rear passenger seat, under the back carpet, along the lower door jam under the kick plate and to the passenger front door jamb. There is a rubber grommet just under the carpet on the passenger front seat that allows you to pass a wire to the under side of the truck. I drilled a small hold in the rubber grommet and shoved all the wires through. I then zip tied them all and ran them to the battery. I had to buy a set of 8 gauge terminal connectors to connect them to the battery which I also soldered.

Installing the bracket was a bit challenging. My Raptor has the 2 kW Pro Power on board so the inverter is right under the passenger rear seat where the bracket goes. The bracket hit the corner edge of the plastic housing, but I was able to file the screw slots just a bit to make it all fit.

While I had the car seats out of the truck, I also installed a BuiltRight Seat Bottom Divider Panel. My subwoofer (I think) is in the storage area behind this panel but I used the Molle pattern to install some Quick Fist mounts to keep some cargo that I have from flying around while driving.

All in all I'm very happy with the set up! Final photos in the next post.

--------

Photos of Install

Modified wiring harness:
View attachment 433024

Power Wire Extension:
View attachment 433025

Front Passenger seat grommet location:
View attachment 433026
Nice write up Navy. About to tackle this install. I’m going in the bed in a built right panel. Not using the ARB switch, just going to the upfitter with the purple wire. Anyways- what gauge wire did you go with for the black wires? And did you connect to negative on the battery? Seems like some installs don’t. Thanks for your expertise