RATTLERS AND THE DESERT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They’re really not that aggressive as long as you leave them alone. But it helps to learn where they tend to hangout (under rocks, under bushes, right on the edge of the shade like you found) and be careful. It’s also another reason to wear a tall pair of leather boots - rattlesnakes tend to strike the ankles.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Took a ride down to Gilbert Canyon with son. Hiked a few miles and almost got bit. It was in the shade and I stepped right over it (sucks being deaf) my sons says “Hey Dad you almost stepped on that Rattlerrr” WTF :/

View attachment 164773

View attachment 164774

View attachment 164775

View attachment 164776

View attachment 164777

You know I watched a video the other day and all you have to do is whip them by holding them by the tail and snap them like a whip as it breaks their neck.

Also reminds me when I was in Boy Scouts I had ran fairly far up the hillside to take a dump, all of a sudden I hear rattle..rattle. and another rattle...rattle.

Glad I was finished cause I didn't bother looking behind me I just jumped as far down that hill as I could. Really scared the crap out me, seriously.

Last edited:

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as I'd love to just leave them alone, you almost always see them or hear them when it's almost too late. Often step near them and hear the rattle after, and always try to get out of the way and leave the snake alone. But if it's in a high traffic area with people and pets, regardless of "who was there first" I'm giving it lead and looking out for the other people that will undoubtedly encounter that snake.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know I watched a video the other day and all you have to do is whip them by holding them by the tail and snap them like a whip as it breaks their neck.

Also reminds me when I was in Boy Scouts I had ran fairly far up the hillside to take a dump, all of a sudden I hear rattle..rattle. and another rattle...rattle.

Glad I was finished cause I didn't bother looking behind me I just jumped as far down that hill as I could. Really scared the crap out me, seriously.
tenor.gif

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran over a Pygmy once with my lawnmower. I almost stepped on its still-moving severed head but thankfully I saw the movement before stepping down. I buried its head so no one would accidentally get bit. While they’re not normally deadly, I don’t want a wound like that!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Strange how they don't die quickly....

I used to ball one up into a bail of hay periodically out in Moab, you would come down the next row and see the dismembered top poking out of the bail biting at the air.