Random Question/Opinion Requested

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigAnt

Reaction score
I'd say, selfishly, the SRT. And the only reason I say that is because I am on the wait-list for a Raptor and 1 less person helps me get my Raptor quicker :) electric will take over in 13 years so it won't matter in the long term

ape318

Reaction score
The Durango Hellcat was made for one year only and in limited numbers (3000 I believe). In my opinion, it will hold its value in the long run. There will be many more Raptor 35's produced... in the 10's of thousands more.
Low mileage and options will be key of course. Just my 0.02....
I agree with you

Broken Wrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really hard to say which will be worth more, limited production and high demand will eventually give way to vehicles that are hard to find or sought after by those with the resources. It is a total crap shoot, which one might be worth more. very few become instant collectables Ford GT, Dodge Demons, ACR Vipers, I buy what I like and take care of it for investments. However I just sold my 2019 ford fiesta hatchback with 29k on the clock to Carvana for $19,000, which is over MSRP when new, so what the hell do I know.

Bugzuki

Reaction score
I would think that the Durango would only hold it's value if it were a low mileage example in perfect condition. If you plan on driving it every day I would go for the raptor.
Just seems like if someone wanted to pay a lot for a hellcat vehicle they would get the one that was configured to go the fastest. At least I would go for the Challenger Hellcat instead of the Durango. At least the 3rd gen Durango looks better than the hideous 2nd gen. So it has that going for it.

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Previous '20 Gen 2 owner
Current '21 Gen 3 owner

I am not looking to inflame or start a this vs that by any means. I am curious: what do you all think winds up retaining their value better?

- 2021 Durango SRT Hellcat

or -

- 2021 Raptor 35

I get the Hellcat is a tad more on MSRP, just wondering overall value retainment considering this is the last/only year you can buy a Durango Hellcat.

Thoughts?
The value is on the eye of the beholder!!

banzai

Reaction score
First off, you shouldn't make a purchase based off what you think will become valuable. You should buy what you like and enjoy it, hands down.

Both trucks have the potential to become collectable, but possibly for different reasons. Once just about anything becomes "collectable" the future buyers won't be using the items in the same way as current owners now are. Motivational factors are as varied as personal opinions.

It won't matter so much that the Dodges aren't as reliable or off road capable. As long as it has the Hellcat engine, it will still appeal to the Mopar fan. Likewise, even if Raptor production ended tomorrow, the reputation, prowess and greater numbers produced of the Raptor will live on, ensuring they have a strong future fan base.

As always, future values will be more directly associated to each trucks individual mechanical and cosmetic condition at the time of its sale.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that the Durango hellcat will hold its value better than the raptor. For comparison, look at the Trackhawk market and you will see (both used and new prices, as well as age/mileage). Monster engine SUV category definitely has quite a bit of demand, now and in the future.
For value, I know this is not going to come across well, but.... If you look at the used market evaluation tools for a loaded 2014 raptor w/ 50k miles, and compared with a 2018 loaded with 50k miles, you have values that are pretty close. Now, the thing to remember is to look at the msrp of each of those and looks at the % difference. From what I saw, the 2014 did not lose as much value (from msrp) versus what the 17+ raptors do. Just a point of reference and I know it will make some mad. Sorry.

Fuller1890

Reaction score
I have a feeling 37 Raptors are going to become limited edition.
Sorry I’m a car collector and a 21 raptor isn’t going to be a limited edition. It’s just another truck. I would love to think that as I have one too. I’ve have purchased Mercedes s class launch editions with every possible option and they deprecate like all cars.