Question About The Infamous Pano-Roof Sticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timekeeper

Reaction score
This is probably another dead horse. I read many threads on this. Understand why it they can get stuck open. The rubber seals around the rood need to be lubed with silicon to keep from sticking. It's the sticking that cause the parts undo pressure and to break.

But...I pick up my truck today. I have not been messing with the retractable roof because is has been cold and I know it has not been lubricated. Should I have the dealer do it BEFORE I drive it off the lot today?

Should I take a tube of silicon lube with me and have them do it? That way if it sticks or something snaps I'm there onsite with them? I'm being overly OCD about this, but I've read most of the threads on what causes this.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is probably another dead horse. I read many threads on this. Understand why it they can get stuck open. The rubber seals around the rood need to be lubed with silicon to keep from sticking. It's the sticking that cause the parts undo pressure and to break.

But...I pick up my truck today. I have not been messing with the retractable roof because is has been cold and I know it has not been lubricated. Should I have the dealer do it BEFORE I drive it off the lot today?

Should I take a tube of silicon lube with me and have them do it? That way if it sticks or something snaps I'm there onsite with them? I'm being overly OCD about this, but I've read most of the threads on what causes this.

With your OCD you won't be happy no matter what. As another person suggested in different thread, don't forget to smell seats in the truck to make sure that noone has set on them.

No rails on the sunroof are going to break first time you open the sunroof. Its even ridiculous to think that way.

You're buying a car, it comes with warranty. That's what warranty is for, regardless whether you run into issues on the spot or within your first 36,000 miles.

Last edited:

TiNyLoBo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My roof sticks at times; the dealer lubes it when I go in for maintenance (I ask because I've been without the truck for a week while they replaced it once already).

I've learned to pop the left track to fix it.

If you go to close it and it stops and retracts, just follow the sounds and you'll find where to push.

OP
OP
Timekeeper

Timekeeper

Reaction score
Thanks Tiny. I've been following the forums for a while now and know that this has been an ongoing problem for many. I had the same problem with my Range Rover a while back and was without it for 2-weeks due to repair. I don't want to make the same mistake. These pano roofs are very fussy on vehicles in general usually due to the seals.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I've essentially left it closed since I bought the truck. I think I've opened it twice. hearing all of these issues with them makes me want to just have a Lexan window made and remove the entire sunroof mechanism and glass. It cant be lightweight either.

Another to-do item for the list, I guess.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I've essentially left it closed since I bought the truck. I think I've opened it twice. hearing all of these issues with them makes me want to just have a Lexan window made and remove the entire sunroof mechanism and glass. It cant be lightweight either.

Another to-do item for the list, I guess.

I was thinking a C/F panel to fill the area. Lose some weight, should be easy enough to permanently affix with the brackets in place. By permanent, I mean align it, check for leaks, cinch it down until the seals need replacing.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I was thinking a C/F panel to fill the area. Lose some weight, should be easy enough to permanently affix with the brackets in place. By permanent, I mean align it, check for leaks, cinch it down until the seals need replacing.

that's an interesting idea. But it also leads me to ask to have my cage builder add a mount for my MGA SAW. (it's a belt-fed M249 style 5.56 rifle that I can use one of my transferrable HK trigger packs with.)

Not quite sure how I could make it work so the panel could be popped out from the inside and still seal, but it would be really freaking fun to blast around a ranch, running dark with NVG and BD IR lights, hunting hogs full-auto from the roof, then pop the panel back in and hit the desert.

It would be the one time that I'd prefer the quiet ecoboost over a growly V8. :cool:

and holy crap would it make for some rad videos of catching air in the truck with someone full squeeze on a 300 rnd belt of tracers.