Powertrain Poll

Which engine would you purchase on your next raptor.

• Current engine

• Hybrid w/ 550hp & 600 ft/lb torque. Combined 20-22mpg

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpl291

Reaction score
Which engine would you purchase on your next raptor. I really have no interest in an electric engine as I make long trips frequently. I also like to go to the mountains to fish/hunt etc. There are few regular gas stations in the area let alone places for electric charging.

However if I could get more power and more range with a hybrid this would be something I’d personally consider.

What are your all’s thoughts. My concerns would be with the battery weight would we actually see performance gains. Can a hybrid system stand up to high speed jumps.

Last edited:

IamCanadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the why don't Ford offer a Predator, Coyote, 3.5 Eco boost HO and the Powerboost version of a 3.5 HO as engine options when you order a Raptor..They give options for the other F150s.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the why don't Ford offer a Predator, Coyote, 3.5 Eco boost HO and the Powerboost version of a 3.5 HO as engine options when you order a Raptor..They give options for the other F150s.
There’s no room for the PowerBoost battery with a 36 gallon fuel tank. PowerBoost also adds significantly more weight, and the Raptor is already heavier than a standard F-150. The 5.0 would be a dog in a Raptor, it’s fast is a regular cab F-150, but with the weight and tire size on the Raptor it would be lacking on low end torque.

IamCanadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s no room for the PowerBoost battery with a 36 gallon fuel tank. PowerBoost also adds significantly more weight, and the Raptor is already heavier than a standard F-150. The 5.0 would be a dog in a Raptor, it’s fast is a regular cab F-150, but with the weight and tire size on the Raptor it would be lacking on low end torque.
True, but it would give people the choice for their needs.. The suspension, the appearance and off road capabilities of the Raptor attracts other offroaders. Not everyone has areas for high speed Baja.. I would love to see a powerboost version because of the 7.2KW power in the bed...There a lot of people with 4" lift F150 crews with 35" tires and coyote engines..The some dealer up here also have the Roush Stages c/w superchargers with warranty, which would be a more cost effective and obtainable way to get a supercharge Raptor..

wanna_b_03

Reaction score
Ford should developers an ecoboost coyote. That would be my vote. My 2nd choice would be a supercharged coyote similar to the supersnake.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@FordTechOne nailed it.

Take a look at the difference between the Explorer ST and the Lincoln Aviator with the hybrid powertrain. It’s the same 3.0TT ICE power plant with 400/415 hp/tq, but the Lincoln gets the electric / battery boost and the torque increase is --significant--.

But, look at the acceleration difference. it’s barely a few tenths in the quarter mile. It’s a great concept, but the execution is just mutually exclusive with the Raptor with the current technology. Doing so wouldn’t just be an exercise in powertrain development, but the frame and suspension would need to be addressed to handle the added weight and you can kiss the C range KO2’s goodbye.

OTOH... If weight wasn’t a concern or as much of a concern and you had say a Super Duty as a platform, and you abandon the high speed pretense, I wonder how much electric / battery could be added and what kind of performance could be squeezed out of that kind of platform...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True, but it would give people the choice for their needs.. The suspension, the appearance and off road capabilities of the Raptor attracts other offroaders. Not everyone has areas for high speed Baja.. I would love to see a powerboost version because of the 7.2KW power in the bed...There a lot of people with 4" lift F150 crews with 35" tires and coyote engines..The some dealer up here also have the Roush Stages c/w superchargers with warranty, which would be a more cost effective and obtainable way to get a supercharge Raptor..
The Raptor is a halo product, that’s why it gets the 3.5 HO that is not available on any other F-150 except the 19/20 Limited. It would make no sense to offer the 5.0 that has less power, less torque, and worse fuel economy. The Roush packages are entirely aftermarket and not compatible with the factory powertrain warranty, which is why Roush includes their own separate 3yr/36k powertrain warranty. If the engine or transmission blows at 36,100 miles, you’re on your own.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford should developers an ecoboost coyote. That would be my vote. My 2nd choice would be a supercharged coyote similar to the supersnake.
They already have. It’s called the Predator, 5.2 Supercharged. Super snake is an aftermarket product built by Tuscany Motor Co. in Indiana.