Ride Comparison & Capability - Gen 1 Vs. Put Together 5.0 F-150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello again, everyone! I hate to post another stupid thread asking questions, but I need an answer! I’ve pondered a bunch on what direction to go, but then again that’s what this section is for.

I think most people following this section of the forum have probably seen my posts in the last 6 months that I’ve been contemplating Raptor ownership. I finally sold my 6.7 Powerstroke on Friday evening and I’m ready to move to something new in the coming months. I’m going to be patient and try to be rational... I’m going to try, really really hard... lol.

Before we start, you guys have been awesome when needing advice the last few months. Keep in mind this is strictly a thread for comparison of off-road trucks and if I’m going to make a mistake or limit myself buying the Gen 1. I don’t care about if it’ll fit in the garage or if the parking spaces at the mall will be too tight as I transition from a German SUV. Haha. I’m a truck guy (Hence, Gen 1 shopping) and hopefully this can help someone in the future! Thank you!

Here’s my concern -

Once or twice a month, I come across a solid Gen 1 near me. Around 65K or so miles, relatively clean in pictures and something that really sparks my interest again. But, I have my doubts that it may be too much in size (Width) to really get me where I go with my trucks sometimes. I do get into some very tight and technical spots and I absolutely do not want to limit access to myself or not be able to go somewhere when off-road. I know it would absolutely work better than my Super Duty did due to the shorter length and the weight of the Raptor alone. I know I’m overthinking this, but what I buy next will be long term and retired as a dedicated hunting truck as I’ve said before in previous threads. I hate to buy a $40K, 6-7 year old truck and then not be able to use it as I need to.

Here’s what I do -

I hunt. A lot. Anyone that’s ever spent time in central Nevada will know the general terrain I’m about to talk about, if you have experienced it in your Raptor then please chime in and give me some direction. Typically, I’ll run dirt roads that are beat out pretty good with at 40-70 MPH. I could do it in my 2015 F-150, but it was on stock shocks with just a leveling kit. It was never that impressive. I do however also run tight trees and washes and get into very technical areas. To me, the tight stuff is where my F-150 would really shine and impress me. The tight stuff is where I feel the Gen 1 would fall on its face and limit me. I’m not afraid of scratching or getting high-desert pinstripes on it, but I don’t want to trash it either and tear the body up.

Here’s the question and my thoughts -

Does a well put together F-150 (King/Fox/Icon 2.5’s front and rear, UCA’s, Deaver’s, wheels/tires, factory rear locker) come close to comparing in ride quality and capability to a Gen 1 and can it get me what I want? Strictly talking suspension performance and ride comparison. I understand the fact that the Raptor has quite a bit more done to it in it’s stock form than just the items listed above and I truly appreciate it. I hunted out of a Titan with an Icon Stage 1 Kit last year. It was a pleasure to drive compared to anything I’ve ever had in the hills and it had zero issues getting us where we wanted to go and it did it with very good manners. That said, I’ve never had a Raptor in the same situations to compare. Financially, the Raptor is an absolutely 100% better decision than buying and ‘building’ a mild F-150 5.0, especially if I should ever want to sell it. On the other hand, the F-150 gets me a long bed and I don’t mind the 5.0 at all.

All that said, I could use some direction and advice. By chance If there’s anyone in Las Vegas that wants to take me out to try and get some sort of basis for what I may be getting myself into with a raptor then feel free to reach out to me! I’d even pay for gas and your time, plus lunch!

Thanks in advance!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... I hunted out of a Titan with an Icon Stage 1 Kit last year. It was a pleasure to drive compared to anything I’ve ever had in the hills and it had zero issues getting us where we wanted to go and it did it with very good manners...

Last time I looked, Nissan was practically giving 2020 Titans away. And the 2020 is a nice step up from the earlier generation. Why wouldn't you do that rather than building out a F150?

OP
OP
TannerK17

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I looked, Nissan was practically giving 2020 Titans away. And the 2020 is a nice step up from the earlier generation. Why wouldn't you do that rather than building out a F150?
Honestly, just preference. The Titan reference in my original post was more so just to reference the suspension it had on it and the fact I liked the ride quality. I am 100%, 4th generation ford guy. The Titan rode well on Icon’s, but the truck itself and the materials are 1/4th as good as any of my Ford trucks (Work or personal) or even my wife’s Fusion for that matter. I’ve tried to bring myself to get into a Tundra several times now as well, and I can’t do it. They feel flimsy and loose, the materials suck and the quality strictly isn’t there to justify a $48-52K price tag on a truck that truly is 12 years the same model.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fair enough. I bought the Ford at invoice rather than the Titan at 25% off MSRP, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

_veloci_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just based on widths (stock, no mirrors)
Jeep Wrangler - 73.8"
Ford F150 - 79.9"
Ford F150 Raptor - 86.3"

So if you are really going on Jeep trails, you are scraping that hypothetical F150 anyway, especially if you have that longer bed/wheelbase you mentioned. If you are just on washed out roads/forestry roads, then I'd go with the Raptor... but I might be a bit biased!

OP
OP
TannerK17

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just based on widths (stock, no mirrors)
Jeep Wrangler - 73.8"
Ford F150 - 79.9"
Ford F150 Raptor - 86.3"

So if you are really going on Jeep trails, you are scraping that hypothetical F150 anyway, especially if you have that longer bed/wheelbase you mentioned. If you are just on washed out roads/forestry roads, then I'd go with the Raptor... but I might be a bit biased!
Yeah, my F-150 was pretty well destroyed by November/December, on the exterior anyways. It definitely saw its share of JEEP trails and hectic washes. I guess more so I worry about track width as well. Thoughts?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The Titan is an absolutely terrible vehicle; there's a reason they're practically giving them away. The 2020's are still using the same frame from the previous generation, which dates back to 2004. It's worst in class in just about every aspect (not including the Tundra, which is a dinosaur) and their quality is horrendous. They can't even keep their press units from falling apart.

Car & Driver:

"Over a 40,000-mile test, our Titan was one of the most disappointing new vehicles we've evaluated in recent memory."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15091901/2016-nissan-titan-xd-long-term-test-review/

The model C&D had was an XD, but the same applies to the standard Titan. The XD used the NV2500 van frame - which Nissan announced today will be discontinued - and the standard Titan uses the carryover frame from the previous generation.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Titan is an absolutely terrible vehicle...

Don't jump on me, he said he liked the Titan he drove and they're advertising 25% off MSRP. I had a Frontier that was really good, although my general approach is to avoid full-sized trucks from the Japanese and to avoid small/midsize trucks from US manufacturers. From my limited viewpoint, that's been a winning strategy for forty years.

_veloci_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my F-150 was pretty well destroyed by November/December, on the exterior anyways. It definitely saw its share of JEEP trails and hectic washes. I guess more so I worry about track width as well. Thoughts?

Honestly, it sounds like you should get a Side by Side for the couple months you go hunting and tow it with a Raptor haha

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't jump on me, he said he liked the Titan he drove and they're advertising 25% off MSRP. I had a Frontier that was really good, although my general approach is to avoid full-sized trucks from the Japanese and to avoid small/midsize trucks from US manufacturers. From my limited viewpoint, that's been a winning strategy for forty years.

Wasn’t trying to jump on you; sorry if I came across that way. Just trying to convey that the Titan is an absolutely terrible choice.

As far as midsize trucks, the Colorado/Canyon twins are much nicer than the Taco/Frontier, as is the new Ranger. The Frontier is almost 2 decades old and the Taco still uses drum brakes; it’s pathetic. A new Ranger should be coming out shorty after the Bronco; they’re built in the same plant. Ideally the new model will be more suited to the US market than the current global Ranger.