Ride Comparison & Capability - Gen 1 Vs. Put Together 5.0 F-150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like you're referring to the S10 and Rangers of the 80's, back when GM had the old 2.8 V6 and Ford had the 2.9 Cologne V6. Neither were very good engines.

My memory is that the big problems were driveline related. I knew a lot of people who destroyed trannys towing boats or going off road. Off road destroyed other things, but I never heard about engine problems. Small sample.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So hear me out OP, as much as I love the Raptor, I feel with the terrain you are driving in and the limited space, perhaps a Jeep Gladiator or Colorado ZR2?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So hear me out OP, as much as I love the Raptor, I feel with the terrain you are driving in and the limited space, perhaps a Jeep Gladiator or Colorado ZR2?

Valid point. As capable as the Raptor is, that capability means nothing if the truck can’t physically fit in the environment that the OP is operating in.

Since we have no Ranger Raptor in our market, might want to look at Colorado and a Gladiator as alternatives. Colorado ZR2 has the MultiMatic DSSV shocks, and the Gladiator Mojave just came out which includes Fox 2.5” shocks along with heavier duty suspension components, a reinforced frame, and Fox Hydraulic bump stops.

OP
OP
TannerK17

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew this was coming. Haha.

I’m not big on the Jeeps necessarily. They look cool when they’re set up, but they’re a little tight interior and to me that isn’t a truck necessarily. Same deal on the ZR2 as far as interior size goes. My buddy has one and he likes the truck itself, but wishes he’d bought something bigger. He also owns a Tundra that he hunts/guides out of and we’ll take that 9 times out of 10 just because it’s easier for us to move around in.

The F-150 is a much more versatile truck should I need to tow as well. But, it’s not a bad idea!

OP
OP
TannerK17

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or wait a couple months for a Bronco.

I vote for that! The Raptor version, if they make one, is probably at least a year out at this point though.

I’m actually interested to see what they’ll do! I need to figure out how to talk my wife into a Bronco, and still get a Gen 1 for myself plus another older diesel. Only at that point, will I be happy.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m actually interested to see what they’ll do! I need to figure out how to talk my wife into a Bronco, and still get a Gen 1 for myself plus another older diesel. Only at that point, will I be happy.
It was for this exact scenario why the excursion was amazing!

now a 6.7L TD 4dr Bronco could be legit.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're just going to tear the thing up and dump various dead critters in the bed to bleed all over then I vote you buy a Brick Nose F150 and put some money into the suspension, buy a crate motor, decent VHF/UHF radio, seat covers with pistol pockets, and load up the cooler and guns! All-in you might have $12K-$15K in a nicely outfitted one, leaving plenty of money for whatever kind of Raptor floats your boat.

This way, you can fill the freezer, and then the rest of the year, teach yourself to drive really fast through the desert. Best of both worlds!