Intro and some basic questions '13 SVT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djdawson2

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'll try to keep this brief:

"New to me" 2013 Raptor... picked it up very reasonably way down Mississippi way. 117k miles and darn near perfect in/out, top/bottom. Clearly this truck has *never ever* seen off-road use, I've never seen any truck's under-body so pristine. I was also downright shocked at its performance on the 1300+ mile drive home, as it managed to return exactly 15.8mpg with the cruise set at 75 on the interstate... I was expecting no more than 13, given the displacement of the engine. So... a few questions:

1 - Wheels/tires (what else is new?) - don't want to offend anyone, but this needs attention first. Someone stuck 22's on this thing, and while you could say they look kinda cool, I believe them to be an absurd "mod". A truck of this nature - designed for a "baja" like environment - I'd bet my life that the engineers at Ford spent plenty of time on the suspension design... and that didn't stop at the wheel hubs. I'm relatively certain those 5 inches of sidewall "lost" when switching to 22's has compromised the suspension's ability to perform as designed significantly... sidewall *is* part of the equation. I'd like some guidance. I plan to go to an 18" rather than an OE 17" size, just to leave a little extra room for larger brake rotors, should I decide that is needed down the road. OE offset appears to be +34 or 35mm, depending on the source. I'm not looking for a roller skate look, so I'm thinking anything I can find with some positive offset... like a 18x9 with at least a +10mm or greater offset. Comments and/or input would be greatly appreciated on choice of width and offset... pics even better. I want it to look good, but not at the expense of any rubbing or other nonsense... this truck needs to be all business.

2 - Suspension -
OK, so with 117k on the clock, those Fox shocks are certainly very tired. I've also got a lot more rear wheel hop than I'd like. I think that going to 18's on the wheels/tires will help, but I'd like some input on refreshing the suspension. Are the OE Fox shocks rebuildable, and if so, is this worthwhile or are the current aftermarket offerings far superior? This truck will no longer be a street wanderer... it'll see significant and heavy off-road use, but it will never tow more than a couple of ATV's on a 14' single-axle trailer... never more than 3000lbs towing with minimal tongue weight. I'd like the suspension to be as compliant as possible for sucking up heavily wash-boarded/rocky/rutted roads/trails... this is exactly why I bought a truck with motocross-like suspension travel. I have never outfitted a truck like this before, so I'd love to be pointed in the right direction, even if it's to a company who specializes in setting up these suspensions. We typically go WAY back in the mountains, and the roads are extremely poor... so I'd like this baby to float over that stuff as close to motocrosser style as possible. There will be no (intentional) jumping or "playtime" off-roading with this truck either... just covering garbage surfaces as quickly as possible is the goal. So I'm inclined to lean as soft and compliant as I can - but please feel free to advise me if my goals need a course-correction.

Those are my most pressing concerns right now. I'll be going over the truck with a comb to find any worn components, change all the fluids, and add a few durability items - additional capacity and filtering for the engine oil and adding an oil-cooler, possibly looking into freeing up the exhaust - sorta looks like too small of a straw for 6.2 liters to be sucking through. ANY input on common failure items, things to watch out for or that needs beefing up, I'm all ears. I want to set her up right because when we go where we go (especially for my work), a properly functioning truck can be critical - to the point of life/death as I frequently work in oil fields in northern Alberta where a showstopper failure would leave you in a very serious pinch... no people or services for extreme distances. I'm after a bulletproof truck, cost no object... it's all about reliability, durability, and safety.

Many thanks in advance!
Dave

Raptor home.jpg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, congrats on a beautiful gen 1. The factory air box and exhaust is not restrictive at all, so start by getting your shocks rebuilt and an alignment shop to check out your front end. I would get Deaver plus 2 rear springs to help with keeping the rear end planted, since you're not going into heavy hauling. I have plus 3's but towed a double axle trailer and dirt bikes and quads, lol. A good bump stop kit may be beneficial for high speed offroading even if you don't plan on jumping the truck. The stock brakes work pretty good on these trucks with stock size rims and tires, but to each their own. Enjoy that truck!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
welcome aboard! Nice looking Gen 1. Along with wheels and tires, once you get some other details worked out, you will have a beauty. Enjoy it.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
morning..........

wheela and tires......being that you say you are in the frozen lands of canada, i would probably go with some snow rated at tires. im not a fan of the ko2. maybe the falken wildpeak at3w? @Pacific Wheel

suspension..... you need to drive it first and see how it feels. then you can upgrade what you feel is right for you. throwing a bunch of suspension on it without driving it doesnt give you the info you need to make an educated purchase and spend your money wisely. as stated, a bump stop kit is definitely one you can add asap if you want. it gives you the added protection in case you do bottom out your suspension.

one thing that hasnt been mentioned recently is the harness relocation on the drivers side. gotta get that harness above the frame. that will leave you dead in the water if you smash that thing up. fuse 27 is a must as well. theres a few more must do things, but im slightly intoxicated right now and cant think of them at the moment

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
#BlackRaptorsMatter
#OneLessprius

Check out the wheel threads here. 17’s offer good off road capability and ride compliance. You may want to see if you can land a set of Gen 2 take off shocks.

OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
Hey all... thanks a million for the input... I've already used some of your collective advice. I picked up a set of Fuel D674 18x9 wheels with a +22mm offset, so it shouldn't be too much of a roller skate, but yet they're not tucked in so tight that they'd make a UPS truck proud... HA. For the tires, I went - as suggested - with the Falken Wildpeak's sized at 235/65/18. I've always been accustomed to owning a full set of summer wheels/tires as well as a full winter set. The Falken's were a bit of a surprise having the winter rating... also noticed that the Sumitomo Encounter's are rated for severe winter, but I'm not a Sumi fan. Kinda nice... no need for 2 complete sets of everything... save a few bucks.

Exhaust - Kinda surprised that there's positive feedback on the OE exhaust. Not big plumbing for 6.2 liters. I would think that a "true dual" exhaust of at least 2.5" plumbing and a good set of headers would make quite a significant difference..? I've never owned a V* that didn't like a WFO exhaust. I'll keep thinking on that one... but won't be buying something that does the same 2 into 1 thing... Borla's and such. Again... looking for results, not noise - although I get the fascination... an uncorked V8 is music, just not what I'm after in this case.

Intake - The ole "cold air intake" isn't a ploy that I fall for... I've personally tested too many of them right on the dyno... no gains whatsoever... ever. I'm not sure how they keep selling those things... maybe that extra bit of V8 intake whoooosh makes folks happy-in-pants, but it's not on my list. I'm strictly a function guy... anything I do needs to pay off in meaningful/concrete numbers.

Suspension's gonna be the biggie. I've already put 2k miles on it in its first week, so I already do know that I don't like it. The Hyabusa guy (oh yeah, I'm an HP4 comp guy myself:p) mentioned getting the OE Fox units rebuilt. You guys must have some "known good" vendors out there that you could recommend for the suspension conversation, I'd imagine. I'd really appreciate if you guys could throw me a name or 2 of companies worth talking to. This is probably the most important part of the truck's mods, for my intended use.

Finally, great point on the harness... I had actually noticed that when I was cleaning it the first time, and thought it looked quite vulnerable. If you know if any good links about fixes for that (or "fuse 27) please throw them at me. In fact, any of those common points of failure that you guys have BTDT experience with, please advise. This truck will be getting my full attention until I've got her as bulletproof as I can manage.

Thanks again... appreciate the help and the welcome notes! Seems like a good crew here.
Dave

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My take and opinion as a newer Raptor owner

Tire size: if it looks right with the stance you want yet still works.as intendend(almost).....no rubber bands. Not too wide to rip off the flares under full tilt or otherwise, Go for it

Exhaust: loud and known or tame? Ask yourself that.

I'm olt skoo V8/big block. let it breathe and I like to hear it personally. Makes my lil heart wiggle when she growls. I Raspy on go and angry on mad go.......6.2 is a goood soundin motor, no one can argue

Suspension...dahm.....keep her as close to stock-ish. Height. If planned and works good, but there are upgrades. I want to do deavers, according to what I have read and listened to here those are a good upgrade noticable feel.

Rebuild or replace Foxxxies. I need to do the same as I have a leaky one.

P.S.A.......
I had to edit and re-edit that alot to sound right to be read due to wording.

So I'm ready to be roasted