Portable Gas Can to keep in the truck bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good sturdy portable gas container to keep in the truck bed that can hold 10 or 12 gallons of gas? I ask this because of the current gas shortage that we are experiencing in NYC. This will be an important item to keep moving forward. I understand that may be this is not the best suitable option given that keeping gas in a container in the the truck bed might not be very safe. Thanks

2011 Ford F150 Raptor SVT Molten Orange - Roush CAI & Exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good sturdy portable gas container to keep in the truck bed that can hold 10 or 12 gallons of gas? I ask this because of the current gas shortage that we are experiencing in NYC. This will be an important item to keep moving forward. I understand that may be this is not the best suitable option given that keeping gas in a container in the the truck bed might not be very safe. Thanks

2011 Ford F150 Raptor SVT Molten Orange - Roush CAI & Exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest you carry 2-3 5 Gallon Gerry Cans.

A single 10-12 gallon container would not be extremely "Portable" as it would weight between 61-73 pounds, not including the container itself. Trying to fill-up with that weight would not be fun/clean.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
The Scepter military cans are the best option, but difficult to find (Thanks, California!). They can only be purchased used in the US.

I have 4 of them and they are bullet proof.

Here is a thread discussing them:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f29/scepter-gas-cans-expedition-portal-8193/

The downsides are availability, cost (I paid $140 for 4 and thought I got a great deal) and you have to build a spout / nozzle for them (not that big of a deal, Tractor Supply Co. and similar retailers carry everything you need).

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a couple TuffJug TJ1R containers with the ripper spouts that I put in my truck bed. I have a verticle tire rack that they fit in perfectly, with a y-strap to hold them in place. Very cool option IMO.

Tuff Jug - Home

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I have a couple TuffJug TJ1R containers with the ripper spouts that I put in my truck bed. I have a verticle tire rack that they fit in perfectly, with a y-strap to hold them in place. Very cool option IMO.

Tuff Jug - Home

Matt,

Ditch those ****** fillers and get a hose setup. I use these cans.

VP-5gal-jug-1.jpg

Jackemuphigh21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the same as Phyguy. These jugs are nice and thick and the ripper spouts don't leak a bit even when upside down.

I will have to agree with Trey that the hose style are a lot easier to fill the truck and whatnot but the ripper spouts seal off a lot better and havent had the spillage problems if they get knocked over.

Both choices are nice in their own respects

Last edited:

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Matt,

Ditch those ****** fillers and get a hose setup. I use these cans.

VP-5gal-jug-1.jpg

Yeah I have the ripper spouts on them, but I also have the hose and standard caps for using like you suggest, just haven't used them yet. We'll see in a week or so which I like best. :)

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Scepter military cans are the best option, but difficult to find (Thanks, California!). They can only be purchased used in the US.

I have 4 of them and they are bullet proof.

Here is a thread discussing them:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f29/scepter-gas-cans-expedition-portal-8193/

The downsides are availability, cost (I paid $140 for 4 and thought I got a great deal) and you have to build a spout / nozzle for them (not that big of a deal, Tractor Supply Co. and similar retailers carry everything you need).

This is words word to live by. Being that you are in in NY, Just drive to Canada and pick some up.

Scepter MFC FTW!

I plan on having a couple shipped over myself.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes they can be a bitch to get the lids off. Especially the metal cans in the winter.