best mods to keep truck running forever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Augster

Reaction score
These things are durable if you look after them, the 11 with all the suspension has seen a ton of desert and Baja, runs great. It gets fluids and filters more than most vehicles but I think that's why she doesn't have issues. Oil and filters are cheap insurance on keeping the dirt out of the engine.
I also do drain and fill/filter trans ever 30K since it sees a lot of off-road, diff's once a year, coolant every 2.
Replaced rack, pump, Lead Frame at 180, complete AC system at 210, other than that hardly anything else has failed. Sitting at 215,000 now.

Yea, mines' clocked at 144k right now and the only problem has been a broken valve spring, leaky steering rack (I have a Ford rebuilt sitting on the shelf since last year or more but haven't found the time to swap it in), and no start on a frigid morning up in Big Bear (started up later in the afternoon at the tow truck shop, but I replaced the Fuel Pump Driver Module just in case), and leaking low pressure AC line. I've done both diffs, tranny/filter (added a pan with drain plug, and worthless B&M tranny dipstick--can't tell where the fluid level is on it after countless attempts), xfer case, and coolant.

Last edited:

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also do drain and fill/filter trans ever 30K since it sees a lot of off-road, diff's once a year, coolant
Sounds like you're a DIY'er. How do you get the fresh 13qts back in the trans? Through that silly 2" long "fill tube" that Ford cleverly placed at the lowest spot, right next to the flesh-searing Catalytic Converter?

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're a DIY'er. How do you get the fresh 13qts back in the trans? Through that silly 2" long "fill tube" that Ford cleverly placed at the lowest spot, right next to the flesh-searing Catalytic Converter?
Fill thru the B&M remote dipstick tube mounted on the firewall.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The transmission and torque converter togather hold around 13 qts. When you drop the pan only 7-8 qts will come out even if you let it drip for 24 hrs or more. I posted this when I did mine. https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/transmission-service.85548/

Augster

Reaction score
Fill thru the B&M remote dipstick tube mounted on the firewall.

I did this initially, and it was just awful. I jury rigged a funnel, clear hose, and barbed end hose connector to the threaded dipstick tube end, finagled a way to hang the funnel along the hood edge and it took forever to full THAT much fluid. And after all that work getting that B&M schtick installed and marking the end, it was just impossible to see accurately where the fluid level was on the hash-marked tip. Someone suggested painting that tip white to make it easier to see the fluid level, but I'm afraid of the paint flaking off into the tranny.

I just could never determine the fluid level and eventually resorted to unscrewing the end of the braided tube going into the tranny and manually filled it with a special fluid hand pump with hook-shaped nozzle and it was a breeze. And of course, checked the oil level using the little OEM stick. I still kept the B&M installed but now carry the OEM stick in the truck in case I need to check the tranny fluid.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this initially, and it was just awful. I jury rigged a funnel, clear hose, and barbed end hose connector to the threaded dipstick tube end, finagled a way to hang the funnel along the hood edge and it took forever to full THAT much fluid. And after all that work getting that B&M schtick installed and marking the end, it was just impossible to see accurately where the fluid level was on the hash-marked tip. Someone suggested painting that tip white to make it easier to see the fluid level, but I'm afraid of the paint flaking off into the tranny.

I just could never determine the fluid level and eventually resorted to unscrewing the end of the braided tube going into the tranny and manually filled it with a special fluid hand pump with hook-shaped nozzle and it was a breeze. And of course, checked the oil level using the little OEM stick. I still kept the B&M installed but now carry the OEM stick in the truck in case I need to check the tranny fluid.
Interesting information.

I have the B&M pan and the long remote dipstick. I did not have any of the issues you report. All went fine refilling it thru the dipstick tube. The oil level is viewable with no issues.

Augster

Reaction score
Interesting information.

I have the B&M pan and the long remote dipstick. I did not have any of the issues you report. All went fine refilling it thru the dipstick tube. The oil level is viewable with no issues.

I'm assuming you have the B&M 22200.

61DQieU4asL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It wasn't just me that was having fits with trying to interpret the fluid level; as I mentioned, someone else who installed the B&M schtick couldn't readily identify the fluid level either and that's when we brainstormed the idea of painting the tip white.

I believe the braided line that the dipstick runs through has a very small diameter and due to viscosity capillary tendencies, retains some fluid near where it connects to the pan. And when the dipstick is being withdrawn/inserted, this residual oil fouls the tip preventing accurate analysis.

But hey, if it werx for you, live the dream!

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have the B&M 22200.

View attachment 442793

It wasn't just me that was having fits with trying to interpret the fluid level; as I mentioned, someone else who installed the B&M schtick couldn't readily identify the fluid level either and that's when we brainstormed the idea of painting the tip white.

I believe the braided line that the dipstick runs through has a very small diameter and due to viscosity capillary tendencies, retains some fluid near where it connects to the pan. And when the dipstick is being withdrawn/inserted, this residual oil fouls the tip preventing accurate analysis.

But hey, if it werx for you, live the dream!
Yes, that is it.

IMG_8948.1.jpg