PLEASE HELP - Looking at a gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m selling my 2012 95k miles, 39s, fiberglass all around, bumpers, exhaust, gears, icon stage 4 suspension.... For just a bit more than that one.

There is a whole thread on the build if your interested.

OP
OP
Jason Snokhous

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a good find. You say it only does it in reverse at full lock? What about just off full lock? Like turn it full till you hit the stop, let go of the wheel and reverse, does it still vibrate? My steering rack started acting up around the 80k mark. I have 193k on and it’s still the original, I’ve been expecting it to fail any day, but now I have to see how long it can go.
It only does it when close to full till. I have a good local veteran mechanic shop doing a pre purchase inspection now. Think it’s worth the $125

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That full lock reverse vibration is probably wheels rubbing the wells/mudflaps, can be fixed with a caster adjust and alignment.

yubayogi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL..your the 3rd guy I've seen trading "down" from a 2019 to a Gen 1...which is actually trading UP..!!
I know I'll get all the comments about how good the Gen 2 is,but my Gen 1 has been the best truck ever.....
With that said,your gonna get dozens of replies....and figure top will be Shocks,and change the Plugs if not done...
I only have 62K on mine,so hard to compare...but its been problem free until last month...when a damn mouse chewed thru injector wire...NOT Raptors fault,but had it towed to my Mechanic to find the problem...and since I had bought a new Differential cover to put on,figured just let him do it....I had noticed the "road" noise seemed to be getting louder....figured it was either my ears or the tires....but it was a bad Pinion Gear...so had the Differential Rebuilt....
So,while driving make sure its not too loud back there..AND...if they are going to service the Diff.,I'd upgrade to a good Cover with a drain plug...this way you can change oil really easy....
I went with the Dana Spicer which is THE SAME as the FORD PERFORMANCE except for the name tag and double the price...Rock Auto had it for around $130.....if you buy the 'Ford" its going to run $270-ish....
Good luck with your trade.....!
Got a picture of the new diff cover? I am trying to decide on one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Jason Snokhous

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to take it back tomorrow so it’s decision time. Take the gen 1 and $26k or keep my 19. Few concerns about the gen 1.

1. The road noise from the factory BFG’s are pretty annoying. The gen 2 is so much quieter

2. The engine has this odd characteristic. It’s hard to explain but it under light acceleration the motor will burble like it’s under load, which yes it is under load but then it gets quieter. I did have it inspected and they found it is misfiring and needs spark plugs and coils.

thoughts?

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy tell dealer you will buy if they replace all spark plugs/ coils! make them include in deal! Then take your 26 k to scv and make it into a mid travel beast :********: