PLEASE HELP - Looking at a gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a gen 1 for over a year. Ended up buying a 19. Now I’ve got a 14 in my garage for a couple days. Dealer a couple hours away here in TX is letting me test it out with no commitment. Offered me $61k for my 802a. They’re asking $35,500 for the 14 with 123,000 miles.

trans and diff fluids have never been changed that they know of so they’ve offered to service it before I buy. It seems like a solid truck in the 200 miles I’ve put on it. Other than the K&N intake it seems stock.

question is what should I look for before I make the trade. Everything seems straight. I don’t see any signs of anything being bent. Only thing is when I backup with the wheel at full lock or close to lock, there’s a vibration. I’ll check the tires but they are factory as are the wheels. Any tips or advice is much appreciated.

77C34572-9600-47DB-8EC0-54AF77ED4F44.jpeg

D914E315-3AFF-4510-93B2-EE55870C4D16.jpeg

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL..your the 3rd guy I've seen trading "down" from a 2019 to a Gen 1...which is actually trading UP..!!
I know I'll get all the comments about how good the Gen 2 is,but my Gen 1 has been the best truck ever.....
With that said,your gonna get dozens of replies....and figure top will be Shocks,and change the Plugs if not done...
I only have 62K on mine,so hard to compare...but its been problem free until last month...when a damn mouse chewed thru injector wire...NOT Raptors fault,but had it towed to my Mechanic to find the problem...and since I had bought a new Differential cover to put on,figured just let him do it....I had noticed the "road" noise seemed to be getting louder....figured it was either my ears or the tires....but it was a bad Pinion Gear...so had the Differential Rebuilt....
So,while driving make sure its not too loud back there..AND...if they are going to service the Diff.,I'd upgrade to a good Cover with a drain plug...this way you can change oil really easy....
I went with the Dana Spicer which is THE SAME as the FORD PERFORMANCE except for the name tag and double the price...Rock Auto had it for around $130.....if you buy the 'Ford" its going to run $270-ish....
Good luck with your trade.....!

OP
OP
Jason Snokhous

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL..your the 3rd guy I've seen trading "down" from a 2019 to a Gen 1...which is actually trading UP..!!
I know I'll get all the comments about how good the Gen 2 is,but my Gen 1 has been the best truck ever.....
With that said,your gonna get dozens of replies....and figure top will be Shocks,and change the Plugs if not done...
I only have 62K on mine,so hard to compare...but its been problem free until last month...when a damn mouse chewed thru injector wire...NOT Raptors fault,but had it towed to my Mechanic to find the problem...and since I had bought a new Differential cover to put on,figured just let him do it....I had noticed the "road" noise seemed to be getting louder....figured it was either my ears or the tires....but it was a bad Pinion Gear...so had the Differential Rebuilt....
So,while driving make sure its not too loud back there..AND...if they are going to service the Diff.,I'd upgrade to a good Cover with a drain plug...this way you can change oil really easy....
I went with the Dana Spicer which is THE SAME as the FORD PERFORMANCE except for the name tag and double the price...Rock Auto had it for around $130.....if you buy the 'Ford" its going to run $270-ish....
Thanks man. The road noise is definitely more pronounced than my 19 but it’s not bad. The shocks feel fine to me. Not bouncy at all. Looking at the minimal wear on the brake pedal I think most of the miles on this one are highway.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think they are asking a bit much for the '14 with that mileage. Not that the mileage is bad, I have more than that. Check that the heated seats work and all the vents for the ac/heat. Good luck, I would trade the '19 in on a '14 anytime.

Tx4r11

Reaction score
Congratulations on moving to a Gen 1. If you can get the extended warranty. Look for below items.

1. Fuse 27 relocation kit make sure it was done.
2. check CV boots for leaks and IWE actuators.
3. Make sure front axles are not spinning in 2 wheel drive. If so you may have leaks in your lines, issues with IWE actuators or bad solenoid.
4. Check 4 wheel high and low are working.
5. Check Rear bump stops for wear and signs of use.
6. Check rotors, pads and calipers you may need to change them out with that mileage.
7. Also some models had a PCM recall and are covered under Warranty. My 2013 was changed out when I took it in for service. Dealership said it was covered. Yours may not but you may want to ask.

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a good price! My Neighbor was just offered 36k$ Trade on his 14 screw with 111k miles! Also it is white which is a plus

the market has really gone up on gen1s in the last 6 months! Maybe because clean examples are getting harder to find?

Michael Rodriguez

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I went with the Ford Performance diff cover. Adds an extra 10-20 HP with the Ford logo on it.

I was offered $40k trade on my 2013 with 55k. All used Raptors seem to be on the rise. Low mileage gen 1s are getting harder to find.