Play in Driveshafts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been hearing about K02 tires having issues on new Raptors due to QC at the BFGoodrich factory. Manifests itself with vibrations although your vibration’s speed range is pretty specific. Do the vibrations change if you adjust your pedals?
What do you mean adjust the pedals? You mean different vehicle speed or actually move the adjustable pedals? It does happen outside my stated speed range but is more subtle and difficult to notice. In the 60-80 range sometimes it’s almost a rough pulsing type vibration, but I feel nothing in the steering wheel.

awd5906

Reaction score
What do you mean adjust the pedals? You mean different vehicle speed or actually move the adjustable pedals? It does happen outside my stated speed range but is more subtle and difficult to notice. In the 60-80 range sometimes it’s almost a rough pulsing type vibration, but I feel nothing in the steering wheel.
So actually moving the adjustable pedals in and out. The closer the pedal is to the firewall the less vibration I get from the drivetrain for what it’s worth. Interesting with the pulsing sensation, that could def be something drivetrain related/ something out of balance.

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So actually moving the adjustable pedals in and out. The closer the pedal is to the firewall the less vibration I get from the drivetrain for what it’s worth. Interesting with the pulsing sensation, that could def be something drivetrain related/ something out of balance.
I’ll give that a shot. The pulsing is pretty subtle, and makes me wonder if I’m going crazy or not. But I do know whatever I’m noticing my gen 2 definitely didn’t do and the drivetrain is pretty much the same. Lately I’ve been messing with 4A vs 2H to see if there’s any difference.

awd5906

Reaction score
I’ll give that a shot. The pulsing is pretty subtle, and makes me wonder if I’m going crazy or not. But I do know whatever I’m noticing my gen 2 definitely didn’t do and the drivetrain is pretty much the same. Lately I’ve been messing with 4A vs 2H to see if there’s any difference.
Sounds good and glad you brought up 4A, mine has noticeably more pedal vibration when accelerating in 4A compared to 2H.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you had the tires road force balanced? Rotational vibrations are normally harmonic and happen at certain speed/frequency

With 4:10 gear ratio your drive shafts are spinning 4× your tire speed. So a driveline vibration at 60-80 mph will be extremely fast

(Tire speed at 60 is roughly 600rpm so 600 x 4 would be a vibration frequency of 2400, that is pretty fast )

Tire vibrations have a habit of happening at about 35mph - 70mph- 140mph. Although speed doubles the force is exponential so 35 to 70 the vibration force is 4x of what it is at 35.

Unless absolutely horrible most can't feel a tire issue at 35mph.

Get your tires checked/balanced.

Fix the simple before the obscure

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you had the tires road force balanced? Rotational vibrations are normally harmonic and happen at certain speed/frequency

With 4:10 gear ratio your drive shafts are spinning 4× your tire speed. So a driveline vibration at 60-80 mph will be extremely fast

(Tire speed at 60 is roughly 600rpm so 600 x 4 would be a vibration frequency of 2400, that is pretty fast )

Tire vibrations have a habit of happening at about 35mph - 70mph- 140mph. Although speed doubles the force is exponential so 35 to 70 the vibration force is 4x of what it is at 35.

Unless absolutely horrible most can't feel a tire issue at 35mph.

Get your tires checked/balanced.

Fix the simple before the obscure
This was kinda my suspicion, but just wanted to see if the driveshafts could be an issue because there’s more play than I’d expect, but it’s likely normal. The main reason I’m not sure it’s the tires is because I feel nothing in the steering wheel. I also don’t get the feeling it’s coming from the rear of the truck either.

With that said, no road force. They’re still straight from the factory, 3,900 miles, and haven’t been rotated yet. I’m swapping the wheels soon and will road force balance. Hopefully that gets rid of it.

XwerX

Reaction score
I have a slight but noticeable “roughness” or “vibration” that I feel in my gas pedal, mostly at freeway speeds, 60-80. I was looking at front and rear driveshafts today and noticed there’s play in both of them at the transfer case ends, and can feel it if I apply pressure as in the pics below.

Can someone tell me if this play is normal? @FordTechOne maybe :)

View attachment 432525View attachment 432526
I have this same vibration issue in my 23 truck. It has been diagnosed at a front pinion bearing failure requiring a full rebuild of the front differential. I also have what I consider excessive play in the front driveshaft at the transfer case and the input seal on the transfer case is leaking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have this same vibration issue in my 23 truck. It has been diagnosed at a front pinion bearing failure requiring a full rebuild of the front differential. I also have what I consider excessive play in the front driveshaft at the transfer case and the input seal on the transfer case is leaking.
How bad is your vibration? I have no leaks anywhere and I don’t suspect it’s a pinion bearing. If it was I’d think it would be worse. But I’ll keep an eye on it and see.