Play in Driveshafts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have this same vibration issue in my 23 truck. It has been diagnosed at a front pinion bearing failure requiring a full rebuild of the front differential. I also have what I consider excessive play in the front driveshaft at the transfer case and the input seal on the transfer case is leaking.
What speeds do you feel the vibration at? And does it matter if it’s in 2H or 4A/4H, any difference?

XwerX

Reaction score
How bad is your vibration? I have no leaks anywhere and I don’t suspect it’s a pinion bearing. If it was I’d think it would be worse. But I’ll keep an eye on it and see.
This vibration used to be a slight vibration. It was this way for several thousand miles but recently has gotten worse. When the truck is cold the vibration will rattle dash trim pieces, this level of intensity is new. I think the oil leak is a newer issue. Early on with this issue 4A would reduce the vibration but I could still feel it especially during deceleration.

For what it’s worth some Bronco and F150 owners are reporting this same issue.

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This vibration used to be a slight vibration. It was this way for several thousand miles but recently has gotten worse. When the truck is cold the vibration will rattle dash trim pieces, this level of intensity is new. I think the oil leak is a newer issue. Early on with this issue 4A would reduce the vibration but I could still feel it especially during deceleration.

Right now it’s a slight vibration and I’m at 4k miles. 4A definitely doesn’t reduce it though. And I thought in 2H the front driveshaft and diff aren’t spinning, so I would expect it to be reduced in 2H.

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Today I was messing around with it and got the vibration to come every time in 2H when cruising the highway at a steady 75-80, and then would go away in 4A. That doesn’t make sense to me, do these trucks no longer have IWE’s?

I’m starting to think it’s not a tire balance issue.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I was messing around with it and got the vibration to come every time in 2H when cruising the highway at a steady 75-80, and then would go away in 4A. That doesn’t make sense to me, do these trucks no longer have IWE’s?

I’m starting to think it’s not a tire balance issue.
they have one but its magnetic or something vs vacuum

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
they have one but its magnetic or something vs vacuum
Yea it’s electronically actuated. There’s some BS circulating on the f150 forums that all ‘23s with 4A and without the torsen have no IWEs at all.

I just looked and I definitely have them and they’re working normally. But does everyone have grease coming out of the bottom of their IWEs?

IMG_7943.jpeg

awd5906

Reaction score
Yea it’s electronically actuated. There’s some BS circulating on the f150 forums that all ‘23s with 4A and without the torsen have no IWEs at all.

I just looked and I definitely have them and they’re working normally. But does everyone have grease coming out of the bottom of their IWEs?

View attachment 434565
I actually noticed grease on mine the first week of ownership. Dealer confirmed it’s from assembly at the factory.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had what sounds like the same vibration. Mine happened at 42 mph. In 4H it went away, they rebuilt the transfer case, no help, rebuilt the hubs, no help. It was broken teeth on the front differential.