Play in Driveshafts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a slight but noticeable “roughness” or “vibration” that I feel in my gas pedal, mostly at freeway speeds, 60-80. I was looking at front and rear driveshafts today and noticed there’s play in both of them at the transfer case ends, and can feel it if I apply pressure as in the pics below.

Can someone tell me if this play is normal? @FordTechOne maybe :)

IMG_7901.jpegIMG_7900.jpeg

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean there’s plenty of articulation in the u joint and the axle slips in and out of the transfer case to allow for movement, but I wouldn’t really expect vertical play. No?

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Without grabbing your shaft (giggity) it's hard (also giggity) to tell how much play you have in your yoke (I'll show myself out).
The rear feels like it has less than the front, the rear feels like maybe 1-2mm or so. Front feels more like 3mm.

And that’s vertical play in the yoke for the rear, and the damper or whatever it is in the front I’m pointing to in the pic.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure there is supposed to be zero play in the drive shaft. It wouldn’t matter horizontal or vertical since the yoke can be facing a different direction each time.

awd5906

Reaction score
I have a slight but noticeable “roughness” or “vibration” that I feel in my gas pedal, mostly at freeway speeds, 60-80. I was looking at front and rear driveshafts today and noticed there’s play in both of them at the transfer case ends, and can feel it if I apply pressure as in the pics below.

Can someone tell me if this play is normal? @FordTechOne maybe :)

View attachment 432525View attachment 432526
I’ve been hearing about K02 tires having issues on new Raptors due to QC at the BFGoodrich factory. Manifests itself with vibrations although your vibration’s speed range is pretty specific. Do the vibrations change if you adjust your pedals?