Pedal Commander! Awesomeness!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Caning | Define Caning at Dictionary.com ( the 3rd would be applicable in context, here ).

Yes, that’s what I’m saying. Truck sport mode has a shift holding strategy, in anticipation of you getting on and off the throttle so it holds shifts for a while. if you give throttle, let up, then get back into the throttle just a bit, the truck is “expecting” this in sport mode. Because of how the PC works, a little throttle in truck sport mode goes a longer way with the PC in city mode. It goes an even LONGER way in PC sport mode. My observation was this made the mode practically unusuble. I went for a stretch that I could not pull out of traffic - no shoulder or median in which I was in 3rd gear at 45-50 mph and the truck would not upshift for miles on end. I should have gone to manual and upshifted but I was trying to see if I could coax the truck to do it. Nope. I backed the PC down to city+2 - here, I could get shifting up and down as ‘expected’ but it was still a little on the touchy side. Normal truck mode and city +2 is great, but a little soon to get into boost. City +1 is a happy compromise that doesn’t seem to behave badly in truck modes other than normal.

YMMV

DEGBTI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Caning | Define Caning at Dictionary.com ( the 3rd would be applicable in context, here ).

Yes, that’s what I’m saying. Truck sport mode has a shift holding strategy, in anticipation of you getting on and off the throttle so it holds shifts for a while. if you give throttle, let up, then get back into the throttle just a bit, the truck is “expecting” this in sport mode. Because of how the PC works, a little throttle in truck sport mode goes a longer way with the PC in city mode. It goes an even LONGER way in PC sport mode. My observation was this made the mode practically unusuble. I went for a stretch that I could not pull out of traffic - no shoulder or median in which I was in 3rd gear at 45-50 mph and the truck would not upshift for miles on end. I should have gone to manual and upshifted but I was trying to see if I could coax the truck to do it. Nope. I backed the PC down to city+2 - here, I could get shifting up and down as ‘expected’ but it was still a little on the touchy side. Normal truck mode and city +2 is great, but a little soon to get into boost. City +1 is a happy compromise that doesn’t seem to behave badly in truck modes other than normal.

YMMV

got it, thank you! Waiting on my PC now, cant wait!

hoopdawg23

Reaction score
Any deals for PC?

Any vendors running any specials right now? Would love to get one for my 17 raptor. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 12951

Get a tune. These are a bandaid hack way of trying to make the truck FEEL faster but not actually doing anything. Try MPT

Had a tuner with 5 Star and SVC on my GEN1. Tried a pedal commander, sold my tuner. Perhaps a tune where you put your truck on dyno and had it customized to what you wanted. Canned tunes can only do so much in a generalized way. A lot of folks have both, a canned tune and the pedal commander.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Had a tuner with 5 Star and SVC on my GEN1. Tried a pedal commander, sold my tuner. Perhaps a tune where you put your truck on dyno and had it customized to what you wanted. Canned tunes can only do so much in a generalized way. A lot of folks have both, a canned tune and the pedal commander.

I think the tune is generally more impactful on the turbocharged engines so I don’t think you’re seeing the kinds of numbers on a Gen1 that the Gen2 is getting from just a tune.

That said, Pedal commander does make driving the gen 2 in “normal” mode tolerable.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the lack of intelligence in this community is astounding.

The pedal commander (for space and time of explanation) takes whatever input your accelerator pedal is sending to the ECM and makes it rising rate. It simply opens the throttle faster. That is all. The GEN2 ecoboost uses throttle plate angle to adjust boost. Thats actual throttle plate angle, not accelerate pedal angle, or commanded throttle position.

A tuner will adjust commanded throttle position and has the ability to change the request based on the torque request tables in the tune. Having a similar effect but, properly, smoothly and the variably based on many factors. Not a one scenario bandaid fooling the stock ecm with a 5$ piece of hardware spliced in.

A tune AND a pedal commander is simply taking something a tuner has properly adjusted and tricking the ecu to do something different. If you dont like your torque request tables have your tuner change them. Dont bandaid in some ******** hardware to trick the ecm. Do it right.

Also comparing a direct and port injected twin turbo ECM to a NA port only engine is like comparing a carburetor to an Iphone3. And a pedal commander if like taping a megaphone to a bose stereo speaker instead of just turning the volume up.

hpizking

Reaction score
technically correct but to each his own...

I have always enjoyed forums of all kinds as my garage is full of toys. I have always found them to be helpful and enjoy the input/feedback from everyone.

Technically, the above recitation is absolutely correct as to a tune vs a signal amplifier (PC). However, I don't think it is ever necessary to call someone out because you happen to know more about the subject from a technical standpoint than they do---all that excellent information could have been shared without the first sentence of the post.
"Performance upgrades" may mean different things to different people---to me, performance is not strictly defined by horsepower/torque, handling, etc. -- it can simply be that some aspect of the stock vehicle characteristics are subjectively or objectively improved. I spent thousands of dollars on hardware and software improvements to my P car for example--and yet one of my favorite mods happened to be a simple OEM carbon fiber door sill with the vehicle model thereon that lights up upon opening the door. Whatever makes the vehicle "perform" better in one's eyes is all that matters. The point is it is all subjective. For me, I am going to try a PC as an interim step because I don't like the tip in while in normal mode yet don't want to put a tune on until COBB (hopefully) comes out with their tune. Again, totally subjective but I have used their tunes on my GT-Rs and my Porsche and they are exquisite. Carry on with the great information on here and thanks for all the help to a first time truck owner!

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@hpizking i understand wanting to wait until a better tuning option comes out. the current products are garbage. The Ngauge is an antiquated piece of junk compared to what other platforms have. I miss ecutek and cobb so much. Let alone syvecs and motec.

For what its worth cobb has been saying soon forever. And by judging how the Subaru brz market went (the missed the boat on that one) I'm done holding my breath. Ecutek is swearing up and down they will be done soon and have full usage of the stock ecu.

HP tuners is ok and very limited. My experience with 5star and most "truck" tuners has been laughable. MPT guys seem to be smarter than the other "truck tuners". But still nothing like a cobb platinum or a motec certified tuner is.

Overall if you want to do anything with the ECU of this truck find someone from the GTR, Porsche, Subaru or Honda market. The ford truck guys have seem to gone back in time.