Passenger or Commericial?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each gallon of gas weighs about 7#. So do what everyone else has said and you'll go on a 800# diet fast.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
So let me get this straight........a 1/2 ton truck is considered a commercial vehicle in NY? I'm sure you've done the research but this doesn't make any sense at all. I realize weight is the main factor here but there are heavier trucks on the road (3/4 ton, 1 ton, mega cab, duallies).......something's not adding up that this truck needs to be registered as a commercial vehicle. Unless I'm not understanding this right? Why do you need to weight it and show the DMV?

Last edited:
OP
OP
AdkRaptor150

AdkRaptor150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here in the great state of ny ....if your unladen weight is over 5500 lbs you have to register as a commercial vehicle. I know the 150's are half ton but they dont take that into consideration. Its an outdated law that should have been thrown out years ago. Its all about the money in this state. The reason why I came up with the solution with the weigh station is if you read enough into there standards they have a section that if your unladen weight has changed the only way to go about getting it changed on the registration and title is by showing proof from an official weigh station. So which comes to my point if i drop the weight below 5500lbs and show proof i can have my title changed and register as a passanger rather then commercial.

OP
OP
AdkRaptor150

AdkRaptor150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything else thats not that much of a bitch to take off that would help reduce the weight. Ive got the tire running boards skid plate tailgate going on empty and rear seats which hopefully isnt too much of a job to take out.I'm going to try and find someone with tires that would fit. Anything else?

Rat

Reaction score
Well here in the great state of ny ....if your unladen weight is over 5500 lbs you have to register as a commercial vehicle. I know the 150's are half ton but they dont take that into consideration. Its an outdated law that should have been thrown out years ago. Its all about the money in this state. The reason why I came up with the solution with the weigh station is if you read enough into there standards they have a section that if your unladen weight has changed the only way to go about getting it changed on the registration and title is by showing proof from an official weigh station. So which comes to my point if i drop the weight below 5500lbs and show proof i can have my title changed and register as a passanger rather then commercial.

Do they have scales where you take it to get registered ? If you go to say a truck stop scale, they don't give a rat's ass if it is a Raptor or not. Take a stock f-150 that weighs less, put it on scales, tell them to put your truck info on scale ticket (license plate, vin, whatever) they would not know or care ? Just an idea to save you some hassles. but take off tailgate and leave only a few gallons of gas just in case when you go to official place ?
Worth a try ?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
454ceecc-2b68-6045.jpg

Ford Raptor at weigh station...