Overland set up questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roscoe S

Reaction score
I overland my Raptor, and currently run a 2nd "house" battery, and Dometic Fridge in the bed with a retrax Pro XR with a Front runner rack and iKamper tent. i'm going to be running a ARB Dual Air compressor in the bed as well. lighting i'm more than likely just going with SDHQ A-pillar mounts with XL80 ambers. I was planning on running vpracing fuel cans but unfortunately they don't fit under the bedcover (about 1/2" too tall) so i have to figure that out. I own an overlanding business so i have access to lots of options but this is my personal setup if it helps.

Would you mind posting some photos of your setup? Sounds like what I'm thinking of doing.

Reaction score
I've got the Retrax XR with mounts on top of the rails for racks. While i really like the retrax (rolls up, locks, secure, etc.), mine leaks. For about 1 foot closest to the tailgate, water weeps around the rails and drips instead of running along the rail to the front (as it was designed). When driving, stays dry. When parked, leaks quite a bit. I've angled the rails upward to have gravity keep the water in the rails to no avail.

Bottom line, great functionality, but some areas will get wet. I just pack around that and rock on.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the Retrax XR with mounts on top of the rails for racks. While i really like the retrax (rolls up, locks, secure, etc.), mine leaks. For about 1 foot closest to the tailgate, water weeps around the rails and drips instead of running along the rail to the front (as it was designed). When driving, stays dry. When parked, leaks quite a bit. I've angled the rails upward to have gravity keep the water in the rails to no avail.

Bottom line, great functionality, but some areas will get wet. I just pack around that and rock on.

******, I have a Retrax and used to get alot of water in from the tailgate, until after my first trip to Moab, when I got a ton of dust all over luggage & equipment in the bed. I ended up adding a tailgate bulb-type gasket around the sides and bottom, which significantly reduced my water infiltration to only a few drops near the bottom corners of the tailgate.

With respect to overlanding, Phase II of my truck will be consisting of the SVC Performance Pack #2 w Fox Racing DSC, which includes Deaver springs. At that point, I'll be ready to handle a Leitner ACS Forged rack, and a DECKED bed storage system underneath, with the Dometic slide mounted right on it. For large loads, I've got a 14' flatbed trailer. For the mountain bikes, I've got a Yakima hitch rack. I know folks are worried about center of gravity, but I've seen Gladiators with a similar overland setup, 37"-40" tall tires, 3.5-4.5" of lift, and still conquering tough trails; so, the Raptor with Deavers, a 12.5" wider track should be just fine.

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you mind posting some photos of your setup? Sounds like what I'm thinking of doing.

Also to respond to someone elses comment. you can walk on the retrax cover as well as it can handle up to 500lbs on the cover itself. as far as water intrusion, if you are getting water in the bed then you don't have the sides adjusted right. I had that issue initially as well and had to adjust the sides until i got it right. now i don't get any water intrusion at all and would have to be significant to get in there.

iKamper closed.jpg

Dometic Fridge.jpg

Dual Battery.jpg

IKamper open.jpg

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
An undercover Tonneau cover will give you a 100% dry bed not as clean looking as some but I like it.

20191029_152715.jpg

I believe it only weighs about 55 lbs. and their add shows approximately 10 people standing on it as it has a lot of cross support built in underneath.

It's the Elite Undercover which has a better removable led light and a hook that allows you to grab and pull anything from the bed towards the cab end.

It also raises higher than the one I had installed on my 2014.

Super easy to take off too, unscrew two large knows on each side and disconnect the struts on each side.

Thought about seeing if I could install another mount on each side where I could temporarily snap the struts onto to enable lifting the cover almost vertically to make access to the front of the bed easier.

Only thing is if I decide to modify the vehicle for overlanding I'll have to go with another cover unless I pull an off-road trailer.

Last edited:

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New 2020 Raptor owner. I have a fare amount of off-road experience. Most with a 1979 Bronco (loved that truck,) 94 Defender 90, and on two wheels with a BMW 1250 GSA. I want to set the Raptor up with few things. Im thinking a chase rack with light actuator that works with the Retrax XR cover if possible. Also an onboard air compressor, winch up front. Most overlanding with be in the mountains in Idaho. I also have a Patriot X3 camper I will be towing sometimes. Any advise on this and any other accessories I should have would be very much appreciated.

Welcome to the family!!!

20210224_104056.jpg

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Retrax XR which allows for "T" slot carriers (Thule, Yakima, etc). I have some Yakima cross beams on it, but you can also do the high rise mounts as well. So far pretty happy with it, I do like that it rolls into itself allowing me to still put large things in there and save most of the bed.yakima 1.jpg yakima 2.jpg

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I have the Retrax XR which allows for "T" slot carriers (Thule, Yakima, etc). I have some Yakima cross beams on it, but you can also do the high rise mounts as well. So far pretty happy with it, I do like that it rolls into itself allowing me to still put large things in there and save most of the bed.View attachment 163676 View attachment 163677

Do you get much water intrusion with tha Tonneau cover?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter