Oil Analysis thread (post yours up!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks again for your feedback, Chris. I've been a big Amsoil fan since I used to do the extended drain intervals with my 1997 Silverado. I've done a total of five oil changes with Amsoil OEM 5w-20 so my results should be free of any Motorcraft Semisynthetic residue. I also run a JLT oil catch can as well. All of my oil change have been at either 5000 or 7500 miles without fail. I do all my own changes in my garage at home.

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd Oil Report Iserted

Here is my very first oil analysis ever, never thought about ever doing one before on any other vehicle I owned because I always changed oil at 3,000 miles.
Reading this thread sparked my interest into seeing how the oil is holding up and I want to extend my oil service intervals to 5,000 miles like the manual states instead of 3,000 like I have been doing. I have been doing 3,000 mile changes since the vehicle was new because I guess I am from the old school in thought.
At this oil change I had 40,000 miles on the truck and 4,000 miles on the oil, next oil change will be at 45,000 miles which will be 5,000 on the oil. I am slowly working my way up to 5,000 mile oil change intervals and I am curious to see how my oil analysis will be on the next oil change.

Here is my second oil report done by Blackstone Labs!

185e17p3elycecjt1o8f.jpg

Attachments

• BlackStone Labs.jpg
    BlackStone Labs.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
See my second used oil analysis. I am currently following the severe service recommendation from the owner's manual specifying a 5000 mile interval. I'm considering stepping up from Amsoil's OE line to their Signature line since my main driver for severe service change interval is low TBN and Boron. Signature might allow me to go to the normal 7500 mile change interval or even higher since they specify 15000 miles for severe service. Although, I'm content to stick with the OEM change interval during my powertrain warranty. Thoughts? It doesn't appear that I have any measurable oil dilution or contimination from fuel or water. Could be since I run a catch can? Thoughts on changing oils and extending my change interval? Another option is to step up from Amsoil's OE line to their XL line for a more robust additive package without making the larger price jump from a Group III synthetic to a Group IV which is what the Signature series is.

Also, I think this sample may be a bit more representative. I made sure to follow the instructions and wait about five seconds after the oil drain from the sump had started. On my last change, it almost completely slipped my mind that I even had a sample kit so I scrambled around last minute as the oil was finishing draining from the sump and filled up the test container with some of the last oil drained. It's my understanding that you don't want to get either the first or the last oil drained.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 10.28.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 10.28.50 PM.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I have found with AMSOIL engine oil is that the lower TBN oils like the OE series oil do not in fact hold TBN as well as their better oils. I normally always recommend their Signature series oil to my customers regardless of their intended intervals. The Signature Series line of oils is one that is guaranteed to run 15K in severe duty service. Although I am indeed surprised to see the TBN and Boron that low. Was this the first change with AMSOIL? If so then it could be that not enough of the old oil was out of the engine and it had a negative effect on the AMSOIL from mixing with it, I have seen that often. If it wasn't the first, then I would move up to at least the XL series line if not the Signature series line. But, the results from your analysis aren't bad enough to say there is anything wrong with the oil or the engine.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My latest report with 7,480 miles on the oil...

CS4bTwR.jpg

I just changed my first oil that came with my truck from the factory, I stuck with motorcraft but went to the full synthetic 5-20, and the stock filter. Is that what you've been running the whole time? I see the 5-20 synthetic oil on the lab report but it doesn't specify the filter.

Thanks!

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been running Amsoil 5w-20 OE since about 2000 miles. I only live about 4 miles from work so mostly short trip driving during the week with some longer trips during the weekend. I'm not really sure why the OE is so low on Boron either. You comment on TBN definitely makes sense based on my last couple samples. Even the tester stated that the Boron was low for this particular oil.
@SVT_4X4 I currently run Amsoil 5w-20 OEM and considering switching to Amsoil Signature Series (ALM) 5w-20 due to how hard my short trip driving has been on the oil. I'm using the Motorcraft oil filter as it's a good proven filter. I will only change to an Amsoil filter if I extend the drain interval beyond the factory spec based on UOA.

Last edited:

lathrash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my first oil that came with my truck from the factory, I stuck with motorcraft but went to the full synthetic 5-20, and the stock filter. Is that what you've been running the whole time? I see the 5-20 synthetic oil on the lab report but it doesn't specify the filter.

Thanks!

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I switched to Motorcraft fully synthetic 5w-20 at the first oil change and used a new stock Ford factory oil filter with each oil change.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short trip driving is actually very hard on engine oil. City driving or regular short trip driving fits into the extreme service definition perfectly. It is those that drive 30-50+ miles per day at steady speeds of 50 or more that are considered to be in the normal duty service group. Offroading is also harder on them, but not as hard as normal every day short trips since the engine stays at normal operating range for longer during most offroading adventures.