Ford engineers have sick sense of humor. Oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did my 20,000 mile oil change myself/first time today dealer has done all previous. The transmission skid plate has the corner removable to access oil pan drain plug . But the notch does not go back far enough. So anything other than full stream oil dribbles out and fills the skid plate. I removed entire skid plate and will be notching it for the oil drizzle clearance. Last oil change I had dealer install magnetic drain plug and oil filter magnet . Engine seems to be in good shape only very fine particles. Cut wix filter open same thing. This is also my big switch from motorcraft full synthetic . To Motul 8100 xcess 100% synthetic oil. With wix xp filter.

Attachments

• 20220415_105042.jpg
    20220415_105042.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 20220415_110445.jpg
    20220415_110445.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 20220415_122700.jpg
    20220415_122700.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also did the flooded engine procedure to fill oil filter and build oil pressure. That was first for that too. My buddy was over he thought something was wrong why engine wouldn't start. LoL

Mars911red

Reaction score
I think there was another post on here where someone had a quick drain release valve and the engine had lost is oil and locked up. I am not sure if that was related to the drain plug valve or not, but because it was not an OEM drain plug, they declined the warranty on the engine. Keep that in mind if you have issues, switch back to the OEM drain plug. I used to have one of these valves and it always worked great for me.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought one and never installed it. I figured that 1/8 thickness of the valve was leaving some dirty oil in the pan. I made a funnel out of a 1gallon plastic jug. Works great, no mess.

Blkshp18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed the oil in mine, I had a hard time removing the filter. The angle was just difficult to get to, and the wrench kept slipping off. Persistence paid off

JCSRaptor

Reaction score
Same issue with messy oil drain. Agree with others, Fumoto quick release drain plug is the way to go. it’s high quality, won’t spring loose and they give you a locking tab for added insurance. I have used spring actuated drain plugs for decades. Never had one accidentally leak. You know this but will say it anyways; best to to drain oil at temperature usually between 100F 150F. Any cooler and likely not all drains well any hotter and it’s a little uncomfortable on the skin. I know we should all be wearing gloves. Normal oil operating temp is ~ 185F you can drain it at temp but is pretty damn hot. Recommend letting cool below 150F Quality filters like WIX, and there are several other filter brands, will filter out debris to 20microns. Doesn’t matter if it’s grit or metal anything larger than 20 microns is trapped in the filter. Magnets are another good idea ( more insurance) but not a must.

OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a fumoto valve . It looks solid . I don't know I'm old school I like the drain plug with magnet . Notching skid plate not a big deal . 2 or 4 cuts with cutoff wheel. Can still reinstall corner plate. I like the magnets to monitor what's happening . Hopefully I would be able to spot something before a catastrophic failure. All my other vehicles I have magnets and cut the filters open. I haven't done on gen2 till now because I had 8 free oil changes and used them up every 2500 miles.

Last edited:

Jalal Ayan

Reaction score
Did my 20,000 mile oil change myself/first time today dealer has done all previous. The transmission skid plate has the corner removable to access oil pan drain plug . But the notch does not go back far enough. So anything other than full stream oil dribbles out and fills the skid plate. I removed entire skid plate and will be notching it for the oil drizzle clearance. Last oil change I had dealer install magnetic drain plug and oil filter magnet . Engine seems to be in good shape only very fine particles. Cut wix filter open same thing. My big switch from motorcraft full synthetic . To motul 8100 xcess 100% synthetic oil. With wix xp filter.
For an oil change I advice you to use a GOOD oil Extractor or the EZ drain.I am not a mechanic but it works great for me and I check sometimes to make sure no old oil is still there.