Oil Analysis thread (post yours up!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So here is my first analysis results. This oil sample was from the first oil change after the initial breakin period. (got it changed before my cross country trip). Motorcraft synthetic, motocraft oil filter. I am now on amsoil oil and a canton mecca oil filter. So this next oil change should be more interesting.

d8BI8.png

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

Im excited to see if there is any noticeable difference with the canton mecca oil filter. I am thinking that it should provide way better filtration then even the motocraft filter. We shall see...

Latest Tests

2nd test (first is on the first page).
Gfm9Q.jpg

The last test (3rd)
Huq6j.jpg

Last edited:

FarFromStock

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's mine for my 2012 drawn at 1075 miles. Since this is the break-in oil, I expect the wear metals and contaminent metals will reduce with each subsequent change.

Attachments

• Raptor Oil Analysis (9 May 2012).jpg
    Raptor Oil Analysis (9 May 2012).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 318

lathrash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sent an oil sample from my second oil change to Blackstone Labs for an oil analysis. At the time of the oil change, I had 3,200 miles on the oil and 6,675 total miles on the engine. The oil was Motorcraft fully synthetic 5W20 and I was using a Motorcraft FL-820s oil filter.

Here is the report...

qiS89.jpg

I have already done my third oil change (4,100 mile interval) and will send that sample in soon. I have oil from the first oil change (3,475 mile interval) and will send that in for analysis eventually as well.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never heard of this before. Can you get it done where they do oil changes? I see you sent yours out. How long does it take and cost?
Thanks,

Joe

OP
OP
DirtNasty

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
depends on the service, almost all of them are "send a sample to us" type of setups.

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So analyzing your trucks used oil is a common practice?

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So analyzing your trucks used oil is a common practice?

Yes- Allthough its usually it's done more with Diesels, all of the big fleets do it. When I worked in the trucking industry, it saved us a boatload of money-by allowing us to run our trucks longer between services as well as giving us an early indication of trouble.
IMHO in our case one of the most critical things it will tell us is if our air filters are doing their job, as well as if anything that doesnt belong there is there (coolant, fuel). Next would be just how well the oil is holding up, if its breaking down prematurely. A lot can be learned from a small sample.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
awesome - great info for sure. So can we mail the sample in? How much does it cost? Or is it really only cost effective if you have a fleet of raptors? :crazy:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
other than a few elaments that is firtalizer. any how dos it suck getting that sampel out

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

some if you buy their oil its free